New build. Short barreled silenced. Which round

Just remember that the more powder and the smaller the bore, the harder it will be to suppress. I think that's why 308s are so popular for this purpose. I think a 6.5x47 would be great for this purpose and I would personally run 130s. Maybe get 2750 with a 16.5. I like the 338 federal idea too, but that of course requires a 338 bore suppressor which are typically both longer and heavier.

Sig have just released their Cross rifle, I would go with that and not look back specially at the attractive price you can get it for.

I've tried short barrels and love the handy lengths for the field....but I dont think high velocity is going to happen. My 18" 260 never passed 2600 with 140s and they were pretty hot loads. At 2565 I figured I may as well be shooting a grendel. So I did. It's a great round at the ranges you're talking. If you need more horse power a .308 makes sense. With a suppressor the magnums dont make sense in a short barrel. You'll be in the velocity ranges of non-magnums with 40% more powder. In these days of powder shortages you're trading 2 for 1. Someone pointed out to make sure your can is rated for that.

I've tried short barrels and love the handy lengths for the field....but I dont think high velocity is going to happen. My 18" 260 never passed 2600 with 140s and they were pretty hot loads. At 2565 I figured I may as well be shooting a grendel. So I did. It's a great round at the ranges you're talking. If you need more horse power a .308 makes sense. With a suppressor the magnums dont make sense in a short barrel. You'll be in the velocity ranges of non-magnums with 40% more powder. In these days of powder shortages you're trading 2 for 1. Someone pointed out to make sure your can is rated for that.
What's your experience with short barreled magnums?

thats kind of the idea of going magnum. to get velocity of a non magnum with a short compact. I realize it's using more powder for the same speed, but it's with a much shorter barrel. So it's worth it to me. I know powders are hard to find but I've yet to be nervous about running out. I've always been able to find what I need as long as I buy when available

None, I dont see the point really. But necessary and just want to do it is a decision for the individual. If your Sherman is running 2950 in a 20" will it lose 50 to 100fps per inch shorter? So a 16" gets 2750 at 50 fps loss or possibly 2550 with a 100 fps loss. Now you're back to non magnum velocity with a heck of a lot more powder and blast. You can be pretty close to that velocity with non magnums I can tell you for a certainty an unsuppressed 260/308 in a 16" hurts me to shoot with double ear protection.
None, I dont see the point really. But necessary and just want to do it is a decision for the individual. If your Sherman is running 2950 in a 20" will it lose 50 to 100fps per inch shorter? So a 16" gets 2750 at 50 fps loss or possibly 2550 with a 100 fps loss. Now you're back to non magnum velocity with a heck of a lot more powder and blast. You can be pretty close to that velocity with non magnums I can tell you for a certainty an unsuppressed 260/308 in a 16" hurts me to shoot with double ear protection. I rarely shoot my guns that aren't suppressor ready anymore because I dont care for the blast. I think OP said he was looking at 16.5" barrel.

None, I dont see the point really. But necessary and just want to do it is a decision for the individual. If your Sherman is running 2950 in a 20" will it lose 50 to 100fps per inch shorter? So a 16" gets 2750 at 50 fps loss or possibly 2550 with a 100 fps loss. Now you're back to non magnum velocity with a heck of a lot more powder and blast. You can be pretty close to that velocity with non magnums I can tell you for a certainty an unsuppressed 260/308 in a 16" hurts me to shoot with double ear protection.

None, I dont see the point really. But necessary and just want to do it is a decision for the individual. If your Sherman is running 2950 in a 20" will it lose 50 to 100fps per inch shorter? So a 16" gets 2750 at 50 fps loss or possibly 2550 with a 100 fps loss. Now you're back to non magnum velocity with a heck of a lot more powder and blast. You can be pretty close to that velocity with non magnums I can tell you for a certainty an unsuppressed 260/308 in a 16" hurts me to shoot with double ear protection. I rarely shoot my guns that aren't suppressor ready anymore because I dont care for the blast. I think OP said he was looking at 16.5" barrel.

i also plan to run suppressed 100%of the time. And I believe it's closer to 25-50 FPS per inch. Putting you closer to 2800 FPS. Even at 2750 in a 16.5 inch set up I'd be thrilled.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.