New build/new member

booner2008

Hello all. Been following the forum for quite some time and basically this is my first post.

My name is Mike from NJ, yes NJ! So know you guys feel sorry for me. I recently had a rifle built by Dans Custom Gunsmithing in Youngsville,NC. For those of you that dont know Dan, he is one heck of a smith! The comunication, advice and quality end product are unbelievable!

I hemed and hawed over what to build for my first rifle. I ended upsettling on a 6.5 SAUM. I purchased all my components from advice from a close friend and Dan. I purchased a Stiller Predator s/a, Barlien barrel and sent it out to Kempfield to have it fluted. A timney trigger @ 2 1/2 lbs, mcmilluan game scout, a new bushnell 3-12x42 LRHS and some TPS rings. Dan also installed a Vias brake. I was speachless when i recieved the gun.

The gun finished 9 1/4 lbs with scope almost balanced perfect. Has a 26" finished barrel with the Vias. Gun performs flawlessly and is a 2/2" moa gun, but probably a bit better if someone else shot it.
Here are some pics.

URL=http://s295.photobucket.com/user/mikehav/media/20141108_083731.jpg.html]
20141108_083731.jpg
[/URL]

So now that i have this gun, i need to try it out on some deer.

November 15 was opening day of rifle in NY. We have been managing deer by the Finger Lakes Region of NY for over 20 yrs. We grow some big deer.
Opening day i was in a box stand over looking 2 food plots and a very large swale field.We usually only take bucks over 160" with the gun. 140" with bow. We knew of one deer that was shot in the head with an arrow by a neighboring bow hunter.
So at 4:00 Saturday afternoon, i see this buck that was injured dogging a doe. I was amazed to see him running full tilt after her. I would have thought he would'nt be so active considering a broadhead was in hus head. Anyways, I determined it was him and ranged him after I knew it was him 100% . I ranged him at 384yrds and looked at my phone app Strelok and dialed up accordingly. With a stiff west wind ( right to left ) about 15-17 mph I held into the wind a bit and squeezed off. The Scenar 139 put a hurtin on him and he didnt go anywhere.

I couldnt be anymore happy to kill this buck knowing he was injured with my new build that after practicing pre-season and having 101% confidence in my equipment! He scores about 145 1/2" as an 8pt. He broke his right brow off and was a 3 1/2 yr old. He didnt meet our min 160" for the gun but I couldnt live with myself knowing i had a chance to harvest him while injured and did not . Please enjoy the pics.

Congrats all around on the gun and the buck !!
That's a tough deer....I don't think I'd feel like rutting if I had an arrow in my head. Well maybe in my college days.

Great job mike and great job dan. Looking forward to my lrm buddy. Dan is a awsome smith I'm on my third with him and I can't say enough about how pleased I am with his work. Great guy to deal with. Mike hope you get back to ny to slay some does with that hammer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.