New build-chamber and barrel contour questions

sliceman

I am planning my first long range build in 7mmRM on a trued early 80's 700 action. I am looking at 9-10 lbs or so final weight with a 26" Broughton or Krieger 1 in 9 twist barrel, utilizing 168 or 180 Berger VLD's or 162 AMAX. I have a couple of questions that I hope someone more experinced in doing these builds can answer:

Which chamber neck size:
.311 requiring neck turning
.315 could use factory ammo if clearance OK
.318 which I believe is the SAAMI standard

Which barrel contour?
I am thinking #5 or #6, preferring #6 (.750 muzzle diameter) although this might make it too heavy. Once built, I will work with it at ranges up to 800 yds but would go to a 1000 on deer sized game if the accuracy is there (and the shooter is capable!)

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
HS

Get a chamber made to SAAMI specs; no tight neck job. When the 7mm Rem. Mag. was popular for long range prone matches, folks shooting the best scores used that chamber or one a virtual copy thereof. When good, heavy, long match bullets were finally available, they shot sub 3/4 MOA at 1000 yards from both brand new cases as well as properly full length sized ones. The one I used decades ago tested a bit under 2.5 inches at 500 yards with new cases and a special select lot of Sierra Bullets' 168 HPMK's; the only range it was test fired at. When I shot it in a match, the wind was pretty wild. While it held good elevation at 1000 yards, its windage was not anything to write home about.

We just finished up a new build in 7mm mag. It is wearing a shilen select match #5 sitting in a B&C Medalist with a blue printed older rem700 action, and wearing a Huskemaw 5x20 Blue diamond. the gun weighs 10.2 pounds. we had it out shooting a weekago at 1260 with no problem. If I were you and trying to keep the gun in the 9 to 10 pound range I would not go with the #6 contour, especially if you are gonna be packing it any distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.