New Bolt or Bush Boltface

Tiny Tim

Have a Remington 700 LA for a donor that has what I believe to be excessive clearance around the firing pin. It craters various brands of primers from starting loads to pressure. No burrs, just sloppy frotting from factory

Would you recommend purchasing an aftermarket bolt or having my smith bush the firing pin?

What are the advantages/disadvantages to either choice?

What would be the determining reason for either choice?

I was wondering about what is the downside to just leaving it as is? I have a Rem 700 in 223 that has a bad case of primer-crater regardless of load intensity.

Get a firing pin bushing/upgrade.
The new M16 type extractor comes with it and I experienced a very solid accuracy improvement.
LRI performed my job.

How long did it take? Did it change any of your loads due to dimesions of the bolt face changing?

Been thinking about this for awhile on a few Rem bolts. Evil Kneivel wouldn't jump my firing pin holes...

Seemed like about 6 weeks but call first.
They were really good to deal with.
Kalli in the front and Kalyb doing the machining specifically.
I would imagine they run batches.

If I ever true another m700 action this upgrade will be performed BEFORE a barrel goes on.

I dont remember the length changing, if it did. But I remember "sprayed" groups getting tiny.

Last edited:
Seemed like about 6 weeks but call first.
They were really good to deal with.
Kalli in the front and Kalyb doing the machining specifically.
I would imagine they run batches.

If I ever true another m700 action this upgrade will be performed BEFORE a barrel goes on.
No change to headspace? Just changing sizing dies a bit? Didn't have to setback the barrel?

If you did it with a new barrel, disregard.

Thanks

Nothing major like setback, definitely not.
I will post a photo of a dirty bolt shortly.

Attachments

• IMG_7775.jpeg
    IMG_7775.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_7776.png
    IMG_7776.png
    317.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
I was wondering about what is the downside to just leaving it as is? I have a Rem 700 in 223 that has a bad case of primer-crater regardless of load intensity.
Mine is a 300 RUM.

It's a weak point in the system. It becomes a potential failure point. Blank a few primers because of it and it can cut/etch a bolt face or damage a trigger.

I don't generally run my loads hot, but I realize the potential harm to an action you have invested in.

I hear ya there. Said I'd never do it again. Lol

Align bolt raceway axis, true receiver face, true lug abutments, single point threads, true bolt face, true bolt lug surfaces, time bolt, etc.....=$$$$$$$