New 8mm 190 gr. Swift Scirrocco .511 BC

I don't think publishing an inflated B.C.would be very good for the reputation of any bullet maker.

I've had an 8mm rem mag for around 30 years, and in that time have tried many different loads. My go to load is the Barnes 180 gr. TSX , with a B.C. of .381, seated .055" off the lands, over 81.50 grains of IMR 4831 & a remington 9 1/2 M primer. Velocity is right @ 3300 fps, with an extreme spread in the teens. Accuracy is sub moa. A good load all in all. What keeps it from being a great load is the comparatively low B.C.
If I can accurately get this new 190 grain Swift Scirrocco with a B.C. Of .511 to 3100 fps it will add at least 200 yards of effective hunting range to the so called obsolete
8mm Remington Magnum. It may actually become competitive with the 30 cal. Magnums past 500 yards. The lack of higher B.C. Bullets is what was killing the 8 mag.

Last edited:
You could also take a look at the new Hornady 170gr SST for 8mm. Its BC is around .45 and would really be fast out that 8mm Remington and be a good bullet option.

Thanks for the suggestion JUD , may be able to get the 170 near 3400 Fps, but in my mind the new 190 scirrocco @ 3100 to 3200 fps may be the ideal deer & or Elk bullet in the 8mm rem mag.

Thanks for the suggestion JUD , may be able to get the 170 near 3400 Fps, but in my mind the new 190 scirrocco @ 3100 to 3200 fps may be the ideal deer & or Elk bullet in the 8mm rem mag.

Ya no problem. My Dad and I were very excited to see the all new 170gr SST. This is the perfect bullet for our 8mm Mausers for deer hunting. Great to see the 8mm's are not completely forgotten about.

The 8mmS/'323 is a superb calibre and the "BIG 8" one of their best cartridges! :)

8mm Rem Mag at a 1000 yards: " target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

Due to LRH don't forget about the 220gr. SGK! Really good medicine :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply varberger .I checked my notes and found where I tried the 220 gr Sierra , # 2420 , SBT , or Game King. I started off @ .055" off the lands, because that is where the Barnes bullets had shot so well. The Sierra's started to tighten up when I got to .002" off the lands & in my rifle, that amounted to a single shot load @ 3.698" C.O.A.L. I really didn't give the bullet a fair chance. I will try it again if the scirrocco doesn't work out.

@denny, I have forgotten about some good bullets for the "BIG 8" and others like the 8x68S. :rolleyes:
Nosler produces a whole bunch of excellent bullets in '323/8mmS like 200gr AB, 180gr. E - Tip, 200gr. Partition and last but not least a nice and cheap competition bullet 200gr CC (HP - BT).

The Nosler 180gr BT and BT Moly er to light and soft for the 8mmRM IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.