New 284 Win in the works.

catamountsierra

I dropped my rifle off at the smith just before Christmas. It was a 7mm-08 and is going to be a 284 Winchester. It is a Remington 700 SA, but it will have the Wyatts box installed so I expect that I can reach a maximum cartridge overall length of 2.990"; I ran 2.825" in the factory 2.830" box. I'm sure the extra length will help. The barrel is a 25" Kreiger #5.5, 1in8.5 twist.
As far as bullet choices, I am looking at red tips (162 gr ELD-X), green tips (165 gr Tipped GameKings), or grey tips (168 gr ABLR). I have all three bullets and think any one of them would work well at the velocities I expect (somewhere around 2800 at the muzzle).
Right off, my go-to powder is H4350, and I have several pounds left over from loading 7mm-08. The other powder I was considering is H4381SC, though with this class of bullets the Hodgdon reloading data shows it to be slightly slower, but probably not enough to make a difference. I want a powder that is at least fairly temperature stable, as we have some pretty significant temperature changes here in Idaho. I haven't used any powders besides Hodgdon/IMR so I'm unfamiliar with the others. A couple of the newer IMR Enduron powders look like they would have potential, but I can't find loading data for them in the 284 and I doubt they will be putting it out soon.
So, here's the questions. Are there other powders that I should be looking at? Do people have at least rough loading data for other powders (starting loads and expected max loads)?

I used to use H4350 now use RL-17 in the 284 Win. Current load is similar to linked article above. 52 gr of RL-17 with 168 Berger VLD velocity 2925, 23 1/2" barrel. (OAL is 3.050")
Living in S. Az have not noticed an issue with RL-17 shoot in temps 35-90.

I found that article quite a while back, but was more focused on the design of his rifle; I forgot he had the load data in there too. Thanks for the reminder. His build is a good part of the reason I had been seriously considering the .284 in the first place, and with some modifications I roughly based my build on his.

I used to use H4350 now use RL-17 in the 284 Win. Current load is similar to linked article above. 52 gr of RL-17 with 168 Berger VLD velocity 2925, 23 1/2" barrel. (OAL is 3.050")
Living in S. Az have not noticed an issue with RL-17 shoot in temps 35-90.
Sounds like I will try to find some RL17 to test alongside the H4350. That load is a bit longer that what I will be able to run from my magazine. I keep seeing people mentioning 49 - 50 grains as a starting load; does that seem reasonable?

You can use starting/middle range H4350 load data for RL-17. ( have to say that Alliant has a sorry load data website, hard to use with little data) Hodgdon says starting load for 284 win with 168 and H4350 is 50 gr. I would start there.

I love the 284 win. Both of mine love h4831sc. My 26" barrel is putting a 175 Barnes TSX right at 2900 fps with an SD of 5.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.