New 280 AI build begun

Found out I needed some Dremel work on my 721 action to fit the safety of the new Trigger Tech trigger. Nothing like taking a cut-off blade to an action for the first time. I used my dads Rem 700 as a pattern. I need to do some file work to clean it up, but the trigger fits.

I am use to having to do Dremel work on my stocks as it seems you always need to do some minor finish work. The obvious work was at the RemAge barrel nut, but I also have to open up the barrel chamber at the front of the stock and a little at the bottom metal. I thought the action screws I had from another build would work, but they must have been a standard size as well, so I have to get new longer action screws before i can proceed with the finale fit of the barreled action to the stock.

Merry Christmas everyone.

20181227_132827.jpg

Everything put together, just waiting on some silver action screws to replace the old blue steel ones. Trigger set at two pounds. Waiting on Graf and Sons to send me some Nosler Brass and 20 rounds of loaded ammo (I wanted a box to take for trips). I think I am going to get some polishing compound and work on the bolt some as well?

Nice looking right. I just built a 280AI on a Savage 116 LA in a Hogue full length bedding block stock. Barrel is a Wilson #4 contour finished at 24" fluted and threaded. Running the exact same scope and rail in Vortex medium rings.

Broke the barrel in last week with a box of 162 gr ELD-X and will run a box of Nosler 160 gr Accubond through it tomorrow and then start load development. Hope to run the Berger 175 elite hunter in Nosler brass.

View attachment 115373
Everything put together, just waiting on some silver action screws to replace the old blue steel ones. Trigger set at two pounds. Waiting on Graf and Sons to send me some Nosler Brass and 20 rounds of loaded ammo (I wanted a box to take for trips). I think I am going to get some polishing compound and work on the bolt some as well?
Nice build. I have the same stock on a 7ss and it shoots great!!

Since the Remington 721 action has not been built in about 54 years, Time will take its toll on springs.
You never mentioned replacing the Firing Pin Spring in your part list.
I have seen Rem. 721 and 722 lose ACCURACY and some springs so weak it would be over powered by pressure and the firing pin would back up in the bolt and perforate the primer and smoke and particles come into the action.
Just a suggestion for you to consider, For safety and accuracy.
Good Luck with your new build.

26" 1:9" Proof Sendero Light. It actually wears a March F 3-24×52 now.

I have two loads. Neither are max loads, but fairly close to max in my rifle.
160 TMK over H1000 @ 2991fps
175 Berger Elite Hunter over RL23 @ 2975fps
How many grains of powder with the 23

morning, I have 4 customs on rem. 721 actions. H&S stocks.
timmey triggers and hart barrels. yes dermel work on
the stocks for safety work. very good-strong actions.
everything else works great. justme gbot tum

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.