need your thoughts /cheapscate

lefty2

Hi, Went on holiday and to ensure that any intruders would not get my guns complete i hid the bolts 3 of them in a secure place , now after 16 months of looking they are still hidden My Sako being one of the guns .. I have several enfield 06 bolts which are a few thou bigger in diameter than the sako and also a bit long ..I am a competent machinist and feel capable of reducing the diameter and shortening the bolt to fit but have been told that the m17 bolt is not a good choice .. A new bolt cost about the same as a new gun no one has suggested a better choice .. will the bolt from the old war horse do the job What are the real problems ..

The person who told you the M17 bolt is not a good choice was spot on. The M17 cocks on closing, your modern rifles cock on opening. The M17 was made with steels from the beginning of the last century,. It was, also, heat treated with 'old' technology. Modern steels did not come into common use until WW2. I'd keep looking for that hiding spot, if I were you. Trying to adapt critical parts designed for one rifle to another doesn't make sense from a practical or safety stand point.

Keep looking and buy a safe. Then you can hide the combination, and forget where.:) Been there done that. Good luck!

i hid the bolts 3 of them in a secure place , now after 16 months of looking they are still hidden

Bob, at 85 you have done good. We call it 'Ole Timers' here in the Carolina Hills. Had a dose of it yesterday. lightbulbJust don't mix up your powders and all will work out fine. Some times I can relive the day and when I get to where I last saw the ITEM of interest it is right there where I put it....It wasn't lost at all.:D

Good luck...did you put it in the frezzer?:rolleyes:

Before I had a safe I hid some cash. I could not remember where I put it.
I finally found it....... I had stapled a pocket from an old pair of jeans to the side of a wood shelf unit and put the money inside...
THE MONEY WAS IN MY POCKET !!

I used to collect Sakos, had a bunch of em, still have a few to sell. I always remove the bolts and hide those in an old shoe box on my gun room closet shelf. (No body would look there??)
Well I had requests to sell three of them, put the bolts in em, took photos, and removed the bolts. Put the guns back in my gun cabinets without bolts, as usual. Four or so months later, got the bolt box down, and the three bolts were not there. I could not remember what I did with them. I put out a $100 reward for anyone who could find them. My cleaning lady, my son, and I looked in every closet, upstairs, in cellar, under furniture, etc., etc., but no luck. Two months later I was getting desperate. Had another sale for one Sako, but the bolt was still missing.

I then increased the reward to $300. My youingest son was in need of mucho cash. He spent an hour looking, and lo and behold, he found them inside a sealed manila envelope on the closet floor. I had completely forgotten I put them in that bag. Morale : Its hell to be gettin old!

Keep looking in places you would never consider, they will turn up. BTW, I collected Sakos for many years, and those bolts are not available.

This has happened to me but I usually find the offending object after a few weeks of looking. Tucked away in a boot, above the kichen cabinet or stowed inside a piece of furniture. Good luck an don't give up.
I had a friend who hid a handgun somewhere in his house. He was up there in years and looked for it as best he could. He pass on and his wife sold the house without ever finding the gun.
Makes me wonder,maybe the wife did it.

Hi all , Happy days are here again .. looking for something else I have not used in 8 or 9 years and like some one suggested the last place I looked in turned up 3 lost bolts I now have some work to do and 3 guns to sell .life is good ---------today ...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.