NEED To watch this guy!!! Tiborasaurusrex

Arbo, Don't rain on my parade!, lol..Same thoughts comming to mind. I have .22LR, Remmy 700/270, Savage 06 and my .338 wm for which I bought about 10yrs. ago never shot, no sites and still in box, lol. Arbo, plus if brass goes dry in one cal. then switch to other. I thought you could load a charge for the .338 that's good on sod poodles and very little recoil ? I would like my .338 setup for 1.5k, or make my Savage a .338 Rum? Or the .270 a? I am so mixed up reading all the ELR hunts makes me little head spin. Plus going through divorce trying to keep my 6yr. son that she abandoned us 3 yrs. ago and trying to get him, she has 2 more via an ex-con (murder) in another state. Now to take me down more I was bit by pider Saturday and the venom is a hemotoxin. I am on anti-venom now. Hooked up to oxygen, on massive pain killers. Sorry for rattle, not the place for it. Back to task, needing custom brass would not be smart in the long run when all hell breaks loose. So maybe I do new thread eh?
>
Thanks, JASTECH

I have contemplated this as well. I have thought to keep my .338 lapua and use it as my one and only gun. Positives to this are more exposure to shooting with it in all different conditions, more trigger time, no need to remember/make other ballistic charts, one round to reload for, less reloading and other equipment. The cons however are also lenghty, cost to reload, if something happens and it needs to go to the gunsmith I have nothing else, overkill for certain game, recoil. To me I like to have a back up gun just in case I need a new barrel, something happens to the scope or gun itself. Also, if one wants to shoot from 0-1500 yards from prairie dogs to elk you would need a large magnum rifle to fit this entire spectrum.
IMO bad idea. If for nothing else from a cost perspective. I am building up a 10/22 with a hogue stock and ER shaw barrel for a cheap practice gun. I will build a 7mm-08 savage for my wife and I will use a .308 loaded to 208 gr Amax for me to practice with a bolt gun. That way I don't go broke with my .338 changing barrels every year. I honestly shoot around 5k bullets out of all my weapons a year and when I finish college that will go up because I will start in 3 gun comps. I am on a first name basis with the guys at NMI Tru tec I now have all my rifle salt bath nitrited I am a huge believer.

Rex is awesome I love his videos. I cant wait till the one on how to make a ballistic chart comes out. I have the Night Force PC program and shooter on my android. I calculate with both and split the difference and am usually dead on. So I will likely do the same for making my charts.

Just one rifle?? 7mm rem mag? Half the recoil of the lapua and does everything out to a mile. Half the price to shoot or less. No special actions needed. Great in the wind.

188Mule, So maybe the cci 200 primers will be availab
le soon out here. If somebody would split the 5k that would be fine too as 2500 would last me a bit. My Browning had the BOSS installed at the factory, this harmonic adjustment should tighten the groups. Can the .338 be down loaded enough with lightest grain bullet for sod poodles to yotes? Should be minimum recoil too eh?

I have contemplated this as well. I have thought to keep my .338 lapua and use it as my one and only gun. Positives to this are more exposure to shooting with it in all different conditions, more trigger time, no need to remember/make other ballistic charts, one round to reload for, less reloading and other equipment. The cons however are also lenghty, cost to reload, if something happens and it needs to go to the gunsmith I have nothing else, overkill for certain game, recoil. To me I like to have a back up gun just in case I need a new barrel, something happens to the scope or gun itself. Also, if one wants to shoot from 0-1500 yards from prairie dogs to elk you would need a large magnum rifle to fit this entire spectrum.

A few years ago I would have objected to that approach because of pure reloading cost.
Then my buddy sold ALL of his rifles, but a .22 and build himself a 12 pound 338Lapua. The moneys from his other rifles went into components and he intends to shoot the barrel off the rifle THIS year.

That said he has the financial resources to feed the Lapua.
If you don't, you need to be honest with yourself and keep a fast twist 223 or 308Win around for practice.
I have more LR guns than you can shake a stick at and my preferences are my 300Win and my fast twist 223...If you ever meet a guy like me ( more guns than brains) ask him what he prefers and you might be surprised what he tells you.

The bottom line of shooting is fun...make sure you keep it that way!

188Mule, So maybe the cci 200 primers will be availab
le soon out here. If somebody would split the 5k that would be fine too as 2500 would last me a bit. My Browning had the BOSS installed at the factory, this harmonic adjustment should tighten the groups. Can the .338 be down loaded enough with lightest grain bullet for sod poodles to yotes? Should be minimum recoil too eh?
I found a few boxes at one of the shops out here. I hope things start getting back to normal. I really need the br2's. I don't think I'd split or do any shipping, Thanks anyway. I haven't loaded the .338 but I'm sure it could be loaded down, although it may be better to shoot the same load all the time to get to know it. Havn't used the boss but have heard the work.

I was wondering if tiborasaurusrex had a profile on longrange hunting ? Does anyone know him ? Does anyone know how to fill out the excell spread sheets ? Does anyone know how I can download the sniper101 videos to my laptop for free so I don't have to be online to watch them ? Thanks in advance for any thoughts, opinions, and answers.

Tons of free apps to download YT videos. Ive used probably 3 different ones and they all workrd fine.If you find any by Googling, just read some reviews to make sure they are not actually Malware.

Ive watched his videos in order, almost like a Netflix series. :)

I have seen several of his youtube videos and for the most part the guy knows his stuff. Sounds like he reads right out of a book at times. I have had my disagreements with some things but he has a lot to offer.

Mag-Pull: Art of the Precision Rifle is the MOST comprehensive and thorough DVD collection of knowledge that deals with long distance shooting that I have ever seen.
WELL WORTH THE $$$$$$

Good luck

Mag-Pull: Art of the Precision Rifle is the MOST comprehensive and thorough DVD collection of knowledge that deals with long distance shooting that I have ever seen.
WELL WORTH THE $$$$$$

Good luck

That was on Youtube at one point too, because I watched it there, but I can't find it now. Probably got taken down.

I watched some of the videos on the Sniper 101 series, he does a great job and offers a lot of useful information for shooters with many levels of experience. It looked like he was in a serious battle with cancer. It seemed he was fighting the good fight with a couple videos he put out updating his health.

He seems like a really nice guy and I hope he is able to continue what he loves doing, its obvious he really enjoys this stuff. He has hundreds of hours into that series and does it all for free from what I can tell.

I'm subscribed to his channel. He really spells it out for the beginner right up to the experienced shooter. I've learned quite a bit from him about form which has really improved my shooting ability.
I was developing bad habits and his vids basically made me start right back at square one.
And thankfully so. I'm shooting groups I can cover with a dime with my new rifle at 200 yards and a quarter at 300 yards. At the range.
Every shooter could learn something from This guy.

Ok thanks for all of the information you have provided for me. I know that Tiborasaurusrex stated that the percieved maximum range of a cartridges bullet is limited by its maximum supersonic range I was wondering about subsonic cartridges such as the whisper cartridges I'm particularly interested in 50 caliber cartridges like SSK's 510 Whisper considering that it will push a 750gr Hornady A-Max to 2100 yards and still have 1000 ft lbs of energy what do you think. Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts, opinions, and answers.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.