Need suggestions on next steps.

Everything has to be tip top to expect groups that small. The gun, the load with both accuracy and velocity, the shooter, the wind reading, etc. How experienced are you in those categories?

Everything has to be tip top to expect groups that small. The gun, the load with both accuracy and velocity, the shooter, the wind reading, etc. How experienced are you in those categories?
Not very to be honest. Reloading been doing it for a long time but didn't really understand a lot of the finer details. Mixed brass of different sizes. Just dropped powder bullet primer seated and shot. I haven't reloaded for a long time so I am considering my self just starting and learning basics now.
But I have always been a pretty decent shot. So I am learning how to make my ammo better. .5 just seems ok anymore and want smaller groups. It's all this places fault anyways. I just want to see consistent small groups. So I am learning and working on it. Trial and errors.
But you know what, I am having a blast (pun intended) reloading and shooting. I am just smiling from ear to ear do this

Not very to be honest. Reloading been doing it for a long time but didn't really understand a lot of the finer details. Mixed brass of different sizes. Just dropped powder bullet primer seated and shot. I haven't reloaded for a long time so I am considering my self just starting and learning basics now.
But I have always been a pretty decent shot. So I am learning how to make my ammo better. .5 just seems ok anymore and want smaller groups. It's all this places fault anyways. I just want to see consistent small groups. So I am learning and working on it. Trial and errors.
But you know what, I am having a blast (pun intended) reloading and shooting. I am just smiling from ear to ear do this
I'm sure you could do it with enough time, money, and patience. That's a aggressive target but good on you for going for it.

I am not happy with a .5

.2s consistently is a big task order. Not undoable, but be prepared for disappointment. .3-.4s is admirable. .2s all the time is amazing.
Shooting that small at 100 yards consistently is benchrest rifle territory. Velocity becomes the enemy and smaller cases are used to slow down intentionally. High velocity is going to give some dispersion no matter what, you'll be chasing load tune constantly and likely won't ever be consistent.

I would take a lot more pride in getting a 6 Creed to be a 3" at 600 yard rifle than to be a .2" at 100 yard rifle. No need to neuter a sport bike to make it act like a moped, let the magnum be a rocket launcher.

This is what started me into my first benchrest rifle, a factory Savage 6 BR. It's a great way to learn nuances of loading and really SEE the impact of seating depth testing without as much randomness because of the velocity. Smaller cases, less powder, easier to get small groups that look good in pictures 😉 You can read about all these things all you want, but until you run a ladder from hard jammed to .050" off and see what the group shapes do it'll all be academic. It'll snap into place the first time you do it.

If you're wanting to get serious about seating depth buy an inline seating die and an arbor press. You seat all the rounds long when loading, then you can bump back how many you need at each depth.

This LE Wilson in line seating die uses five separate balls in detents to lock into .001" increments of adjustments, it's more accurate than the calipers and BTO tools normally used to measure rounds:

Well I am shooting my MPA 6 creed. And my first loads are doing great. .5 consistently. But the bad I am not happy enough with that. I want to get that into the .2 range.
Alpha
Sierra 107 HPBT
H4350 42.5 gr
CCI 41
OAL 2.806
CBTO 2.241
I figure it's got to be seating depth time so if you agree what increments should I do?

Do I use the cbto and go down like to 2.231 or 2.238? Please advise. Thank you all. Its all your faults Anyways that I am not happy with a .5

Last edited:
Well guys got to do my seating depth testing today.
Originally my CBTO 2.241 at .5 range depending on my ability that day but was consistently. 5
So I tested

Attachments

• 20230826_195857.jpg
    20230826_195857.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230826_195903.jpg
    20230826_195903.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20230826_195909.jpg
    20230826_195909.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
Good thing is that this did show me that 2.220 is much better.
Bad thing is I don't know if I'm capable of better. I am sure you guys are aware but it was mentality exhausting when I was doing this. Lol.

But now I am seeing that I may not be able to consistently do better than .3:(
But want to thank you all in this journey of mine to be better. I appreciate you all and for this site to learn from. I am actually sadden when I feel this is as good as I can do. But I'll work on it.

But on the brighter side I am done with that bullet so on to a new one. Yahoo.