Fire formed 7mm next steps

7mmHCFR

OK guys I've fire formed my new +/- 1 grain Remington 7mm brass and would like to neck size all future loadings and do all the proper things that I haven't done in the past to milk out all the accuracy I can out of my Hart accurized factory Model 700 SS. Problem is I have always been an FLR, tumble, and reload, deer hunting to 350 yds kinda guy and am not quite sure how to go about the 2nd firing/neck size/neck trim/etc. steps. The reloading bench is fairly well equipped. My dies are RCBS FLR/Seater, have recently purchased a Redding Case Neck Gauge and a Forster Outside Neck Turning tool. Am thinking about buying RCBS Comp Die set.

Questions:

1) What steps do I follow now, do's and dont's? How far out do I set the FLR die to neck size? I've read on here that allowing the ram to touch the die pushes the shoulder back to far when FLRing?

1a) I am pretty sure I should have done the neck prepping when the brass was new but I didn't have the tools so here I am. Will it still be worth it to go through that process now?

2) I've read on here about shoulder bumping. How do I set the FLR die to accomplish this or do I need a different die or some other type of measuring tool such as a RCBS Precision Mic? Or since they a fire formed do I not bother?

3) So many questions, any help is really appreciated.

You're asking for a lot of info which can easily be summarized. But, the devil is in the details. The biggest problem is with giving partial answers or taking partial steps.

1a) I am pretty sure I should have done the neck prepping when the brass was new but I didn't have the tools so here I am. Will it still be worth it to go through that process now?
I prefer to neck turn before the first firing. How was your bullet TIR before you fired them?

I'm not the best to lay it all out and I'm pretty sure the experts will have a LOT to say. So, it may just take them a while to respond in full. Meanwhile, there are some good articles on LRH reloading that have been published here and elsewhere.

Precision Reloading For Long Range Hunting
Precision Hand Loading For Long Range-Chapter Two: Bullet Prep
[...]

Hope this helps.
Richard

Thanks Richard,

I know my thoughts and post were shotgun approach, an obvious reflection on where I am in the process right now. Thanks for humoring me and for the links, settling in to read them now.

Lawrence

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.