Need some Muzzle Break advice.

Speedygoss

Whoa, Whoa, Whoa... Before you beat me up too bad I already tried the Search function. (newbie on this forum, not forums in general.) :) Although I found many good threads on breaks I am seeking info for the .338 RUM specifically. I hunt every species of game I can get a tag for here in AZ. I am fairly new to long range shooting. I recently finished building a Remington 700 chambered in .257 Wby. I have used this rifle to wrapped my head around turrets and MOA adjustments. dopping wind etc. I shoot it really well out to about 750yds. Since I have "proved" to myself this long range hunting is something I believe I can get a handle on and achieve I decided to purchase a rifle with a little longer range potential than the .257. After a lengthy debate on a cartridge choice I ultimately decided on the .338 RUM. Not just any rifle but I specifically wanted a Rem. 700 Sendero to start with. Long story short, I purchased one last week. It will be here this afternoon. It already has a Shrewd muzzle break on it. I have been told Vias is the way to go. I will be shooting prone and would also like options for an effective break with no ports in the bottom.

Thanks,
Speedy.

There are a lot of great muzzle brakes but Vias is not one of them IMO, you couldn't pay me to shoot a rifle with one on it again. On three 338 RUM's I've used the Muscle brake on two and a factory tapered one a Hollands, both work great and don't blow stuff all over the place.

There are a lot of great muzzle brakes but Vias is not one of them IMO, you couldn't pay me to shoot a rifle with one on it again. On three 338 RUM's I've used the Muscle brake on two and a factory tapered one a Hollands, both work great and don't blow stuff all over the place.

Bigngreen,
Thank you for your response. I will look into those. Any input on how the Shrewd
break that is already on it might work? This will be my first rifle with a break so I really have nothing to compare it to.

Thanks,
Speedy.

I've never used a Shrewd but searching them it looks like they are a hole style brake, some have the bottoms solid so they don't blow up dust as bad but I don't like any hole style brake, the brake that are built with baffles are far better IMO.

I had this same question not more than a couple of months ago. I shoot prone with a 338 RUM as well and looked into a number of very good breaks. The one I choose is made by Steve Pratt of Elk Meadow Performance. They are made of titanium which makes them lite, and very very efficient. The best thing I love about them is that there are no ports on the bottom which translates into no dirt and snow in your eyes or scope. I really love these breaks. They are the first and last I will ever buy. Look him up. He is the nicest person you can possibly meet.

Last edited:
I had this same question not more than a couple of months ago. I shoot prone with a 338 RUM as well and looked into a number of very good breaks. The one I choose is made by Steve Pratt of Meadow Creek Performance. They are made of titanium which makes them lite, and very very efficient. The best thing I love about them is that there are no ports on the bottom which translates into no dirt and snow in your eyes or scope. I really love these breaks. They are the first and last I will ever buy. Look him up. He is the nicest person you can possibly meet.

Do you have a link or contact number for Mr. Pratt? A quick google search revieled nothing for either Steve Pratt or Meadow Creek Performance.

Thank you.
Speedy.

+1 I'd never use a vias brake if you were shooting prone, unless you like the taste of dirt.... I have the Muscle brake on my 06AI and love it. Because it shears away some of the blast with its first opening, I hate the concussion you get from a large rifle with a angled brake, but love the performance. Also it depends on your visual taste, do you like slab brakes or one that will blend in with the barrel? The Elk meadow brakes look pretty sweet, but I'm more of a slab style brake person.

Score High Gunsmithing in Alburqurque New Mexico makes 2 styles of breaks with no ports on the bottom I have a few of each style from them on some of my rigs. they work great no dirt in your face

Jered at American Precision Arms in GA is a great gunsmith and has several awesome muzzle breaks to choose from that will work with your rifle really well.
The Fat Bastard is a big break that will really tame the .338RUM or you could go with a moderate sized break called the Little Jimmy and it will work well also.
He is really nice and easy to work with. I highly recommend him.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.