Need some help with powder selection?

bmt12

Need some help with powder selection?
Trying to develop loads for 300 RUM using Berger 210 VLD hunting bullet, Remington cases, CCI 250 primers and 83 grains Retumbo powder. Loaded 36 and had what I thought to be quite a wide range of muzzle velocity (measured with a RCBS chronograph). Data is 36 shots, avg 2749 Ft/s, min 2702, max 2795, stdev 23. Anyone have any recommendations on a powder that would give more consistent results and what to expect? Thanks

I looked at Hodgdon's load data on line and 83 grs is not even a starting load for 300 RUM with either the 200 or 220 gr bullet . The maximum load for the 220 gr bullet is 89 gr. I think you should be working with more powder in your case! It is a bad idea to load under a minimal load with slow burning powders, it is considered unsafe. In my experiences, cases with little air space are more consistent shot to shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.