I need help with reloading die selection

Actually Gene there is a micrometer heat for the Wilsons, but I see little advantage with it. I simply use the shim pack kit to alter my seating depths. Some think the shims are better; I won't go there.

I use mostly Forster seaters, and my Forster press I can see about .0005" max difference using a Forster full length die. If I simply neck size off the Wilson/K&M I see little if any difference in calibers that range from .222 Remington to 6mm Remington.
gary

Gary - I use shims with the Wilson seaters also, but I find the Redding Comp dies can be ajusted down .001" at a time, and are therefore more accurate. I have had some pretty large base to ogive differences with the Wilson.

The best buy on a F/L sizer die is the Harrels. Send them $60 with two fired cases, and you get a die perfect fit for your chamber (in less than 2 weeks). Gene

Gary - I use shims with the Wilson seaters also, but I find the Redding Comp dies can be ajusted down .001" at a time, and are therefore more accurate. I have had some pretty large base to ogive differences with the Wilson.

The best buy on a F/L sizer die is the Harrels. Send them $60 with two fired cases, and you get a die perfect fit for your chamber (in less than 2 weeks). Gene

probably the best seater made. Although I have a Ferris Pendel built .222 seater (looks like a Wilson) that maybe just as good. The backlash isn't really all that much of an issue unless your reversing direction. I just ran into with three different Redding sets I own. All of them have some backlash, or that wouldn't adjust.
gary

Gene

I will hazard an opinion on the above:

With a micrometer top on the Wilson's, I think you will find that the Redding's are no better, and on most 7/8 die presses they are not as precise (overall).

Also the "large base to ogive differences" is puzzling, unless you are just talking about different devices giving you different measurements?

I can measure seating depth, and/or case OAL, with 3 different attachments and get 3 different lengths.... i.e. my Sinclair Hex, will measure different than my Davidson, and my Hornady, given the same bullet. Try it sometime...

With a micrometer top on the Wilson's, I think you will find that the Redding's are no better, and on most 7/8 die presses they are not as precise (overall).

Also the "large base to ogive differences" is puzzling, unless you are just talking about different devices giving you different measurements?

I can measure seating depth, and/or case OAL, with 3 different attachments and get 3 different lengths.... i.e. my Sinclair Hex, will measure different than my Davidson, and my Hornady, given the same bullet. Try it sometime...

First, the Hex is a ***, have one, never use it. I do have the Redding comparator, and did not like it, so bought the Davidson base and nose pieces for three calibers. With those on my caliper, I measure down to about .005 or so above my desired base to ogive OAL, then move the Reddilng Comp seater down accordingly. I bought Sinclair's mic top for Wilson seaters in 6BR and PPC and found it too short to reach long VLD's. Shoulda sent it back.

With the Wilson seater and using shims, I can set it up for where I want it on the first loaded round. But the next one may be .002 or .003 or so short or long. I am using custom bullets. Meplats do not touch stem nose. This does not happen with the Davidson pieces. Gene

Wilson? About the best you can buy, unless your using fired brass from another rifle or shooting the same brass in another rifle you may never need to full length resize...

I have several rifles that I only use Wilson dies, including my bench and F class rifles, and that brass gets loaded over and over....

The Wilson seating die is just F'ing Outstanding! I do have some rifles that there are no Wilson dies for, and a couple of ARs that I just load to many rounds for... I do use Redding comp dies for those I can.

I would advise an annealing device over a full length sizer.....

This, in my opinion is the best responce to the OP's question and I have Wilson die sets as well. A small machinists hammer works in place of an arbor press BTW.

Not to say I don't have other di sets because I do, even Lee, but Wilson is the best for the money spent.

On the subject of small, portable presses, Lee's fits in your hand and costs a whopping 45 bucks.

I thought I read that the wilson with the micro top will not load the vld's is that correct I'm wanting to load the Berger 168's for my 7 mm rem mag is that the case for vld's or just the 6br ??

For seating, from BR bullets to & including VLDs, I prefer Wilson with mic tops.
I also prefer the Sinclair 'nut' for OgvOAL measurement even while I have many other tools that work well enough.
I just haven't had any issues with this at all.

I also prefer Wilson for neck sizing, and use various machine bushings for adjustment.
As far as the body, I use JLC custom/Redding body dies, mostly for shoulder bump.
I don't ever FL size, never needed to.

Let me make sure that no one misunderstands:

I have no issues with the Sinclair Nut, just making a point--make sure not to change the attached device used for measurement.

I only full length resize when using fired brass from another rifle or for some case forming/bumping.

Load all my DTACS ( VDLs ) with Wilson/Sinclair Micro top dies

Last edited:
This is off the subject but dose anyone know if lawton actions abs barells at any good I'm looking at the 7000 action

The first measuring device I ever owned was the Sinclair hex tool. I didn't know any better, and still have it laying around as a conversation piece. I also have a Davidson and really like the way it works. Most of the time though I simply use the Stoney Point with custom made bushing to fit my own personal needs. I never liked the aluminum ones they sold, and have seen them grow when loading out on range. I first made my own out of a piece of brass rod, and that was just as bad as aluminum in growth! Mine are all steel, and the growth issue is only a fraction of what it once was in high heat. Carbide would have been the best option, but also out of the question for me.

Now onto the micrometer head and shim packs again. I tried to use plastic gauge shims, but when I got into some of the thicker stuff I saw a burr being raised from where I punched the holes. Later I found a mill arbor ship pack for sale that had no burrs in it. Perfect for me! Later on I bought several seater heads off Sinclair for the Wilson dies and modified them a little bit to fit certain brand bullets (always had problems with Berger low drag bullets). This helped me dramaticly. Lately I've been playing with a dry graphite lube in my seater dies, and the results are promising, but also kinda messy! Not at all impressed with the micrometer head, but maybe in the operator.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.