Need Help with Gun Powder Selection for Someone Newer to Reloading

whitewaterguy

I have a new Fierce Carben Rival 300 RUM with 26in carbon barrel in 1'9 twist. I already have new ADG brass and 212g ELD-X bullets and I'm trying to find some Berger 215 Hybrids but can't find them anywhere. My question is with powder selection seeing how Retumbo is like impossible to find unless I want to pay crazy prices from a broker. I have read good results on burn rate from the list below, but I am really new to all this reloading business. Please help with what I should look to buy.

My to picks
Retumbo
H1000
IMR 8133 temp sensitive but this is a hunting rifle
IMR 7977
Reloader 26
US 869 I could buy but the guy only has 8 pounds

I bought a 1 pound of Ramshot LRT and H50BMG just because I could find it?

If my gun likes some of the bigger bullets, I might try some I'm just getting really frustrated with not being about to find **** like federal 215m primers and pounds of powders to see what my gun will like. any advice?

Well, it looks like you are new to this site.

I hate to be "debbie downer," but, welcome to the world of trying to get components. Any components.

The problem is much worse for those of us who, like you, shoot magnum calibers that burn up a lot of costly components. Tons of folks scratching and clawing to get the exact items that you mention.

Again, not trying to be a buzzkill, but we are all fighting this same battle.

Welcome to the forum.

Having said that, keep your eyes open for components as they are posted here.

We have several members, "Veteran" probably being the best of them, that regularly posts his finds here from his continually scouring the interwebs for available items.

He has helped countless members on this site find exceptionally hard to get items.

The markets dictating what powders I use right now. If you hound the powder sites you can get lucky but you gotta be quick. Guys post powders dump. I've been lucky snagging some VV565 and Retumbo. Took me 18 months to get RL25. Only got it by trading away Retumbo and primers.

Where are the best websites to look for this stuff? It looks like Ramshot Magnum, and LRT has a very similar burn rate to retumbo so why does everyone buy up retumbo is it just more accurate or is it like a "fab" or bandwagon thing?

I have a new Fierce Carben Rival 300 RUM with 26in carbon barrel in 1'9 twist. I already have new ADG brass and 212g ELD-X bullets and I'm trying to find some Berger 215 Hybrids but can't find them anywhere. My question is with powder selection seeing how Retumbo is like impossible to find unless I want to pay crazy prices from a broker. I have read good results on burn rate from the list below, but I am really new to all this reloading business. Please help with what I should look to buy.

My to picks
Retumbo
H1000
IMR 8133 temp sensitive but this is a hunting rifle
IMR 7977
Reloader 26
US 869 I could buy but the guy only has 8 pounds

I bought a 1 pound of Ramshot LRT and H50BMG just because I could find it?

If my gun likes some of the bigger bullets, I might try some I'm just getting really frustrated with not being about to find **** like federal 215m primers and pounds of powders to see what my gun will like. any advice?

Both 7977 and 8133 are part of the Enduron line and aren't temp sensitive. Just like the Hodgdon Extreme powders.

You are right on the money on the powders you selected, just need to find them. I would add RL33 to the mix.

US869 is good and you'll provably get the most case fill with it, and the most velocity.