Need recomendations for hard gun case

Rick Richard

Fellow Members,

I have a new custom on its way and need recommendations for a hard case that will be used for airline travel. I have performed a search and found some info, but is some what dated. The two options I am contemplating thus far are a Pelican or Starlight case. If anyine has any experience with either, please provide your opinion. Also, if there is somethoing else to consider please list.

Thanks in advance!

I have the pelican storm Im3300 and it fits 2 bolt guns with scopes. and my guns survived a trip to and back from Namibia africa with out a scratch.

R.R., I had an expensive aluminum case that was beaten to a pulp on a flight from Phx to San Antonio. Got a SKB and they can hardly scratch it. Buy one you like, but aluminum dents easily. Good luck

Thanks for all the input.

Yesterday I pulled the pin on a Pelican 1750 from Gander and it showed up today. Now that is super fast shipping.

I've used Pelican cases and never had a problem.
Depends upon how you plan to use it. Will it serve regular transport by vehicle to the range and field - or will it be savaged by ramp rats at airports? If the former, I have a Plano Air Glide in which I take custom, heavy rifle with 28" barrel to the range. This case secures the gun in true vertical mounting with good foam support and velcro tie-downs. Rifle OAL is 481/2". The case is supposed to be 50". The price is right for a medium duty product. If you will subject your case to the vicissitudes of air handlers, don't hesitate to cough up the price for something really tough! Lot's of respondents seem big on Pelican brand. They're good but by no means the end of the market.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.