hard vs soft case for custom rifle

I just had my gunsmith build me a custom 260 rem. I will be hauling it back and forth to my deer blind and my personal shooting range. I spent right at $6000 on the rifle and want to make sure its safe. Would yall recommend just using a standard soft case or should i buy like a pelican case to put it in when transporting it. Thanks

me and the both got pelican cases for our when they were built. it's well worth the cost to protect a custom gun. toss them in the case and in the back of the truck. a soft case might be nice to go to the blind though. we normally just put them in our packs when we go in hunting

All of my rifles are carried to a blind in a soft case which surprises most shooters who don't both with a case at all for heading to the blind.

I also use soft cases for traveling to the range. The cases are carefully laid on the bed of my Sequoia and don't take up more room then necessary. I usually bring 3 or 4 rifles to the range on any given day.

I use a quality hard case for traveling distances and (obviously) when flying. The hard case gets very limited use.

However, I'm flying to Utah in a few weeks and the hard case will be joining me. :)

I would get both and use them when appropriate. Pelicans are spendy for what they are..but then again what's $200 to protect $6000.

I use a tactical bag matt 3 fold type.This is in my back seat and I use for shooting in field positions and nice when snow flys

26, for a $6000 custom, short of a Brinks truck a nice hard case would be nice. I have no choice other than hard cases since my pre-Alzheimer's shooting friend tends to throw the heaviest item he can on top of my equipment. Also try not to store that gem in a case, the foam draws and holds moisture=rust.

26, for a $6000 custom, short of a Brinks truck a nice hard case would be nice. I have no choice other than hard cases since my pre-Alzheimer's shooting friend tends to throw the heaviest item he can on top of my equipment. Also try not to store that gem in a case, the foam draws and holds moisture=rust.

I store it in the gun safe. All my cases that i have now are soft. But this also my first custom rifle so i wasnt real sure what case to use. Thanks for the replies

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts