Need re-chamber ideas for old Mk V 9 lug 270WbyMag

I'm a really big fan of the 270 Wby. Mag in a Mark V rifle. I love mine. I would suggest that you consider a Re barrel to .270 Weatherby Mag, 26 inch with a faster ( 8 ) twist and a longer throat., and threaded for a Muzzle Break. You could shoot the Nosler 150 Grn ABLR's all day long. and also the 160 Grn. Nosler AB; and the 170 Grn. Berger. My old 270 Weatherby mag performed extremely well, with its 1979 stock 26 #2 barrel, at 1000 and 1100 yards at the shooting school. 150 Grn ABLR at 3000 FPS. No Muzzle break, old stock Trigger . For the long Range shooting school, I used a Leupold VX 3 8.5X to 25 X WINDPLEX SCOPE on Steel Dual Dove Tail bases. Its a fine round with respectable ballistics!! You could easily improve performance with a fresh new barrel and faster twist. My Huble opinion.
Those old guns were beauty's!!!!

OP, The Easy button on the tried and true with no miss match between the reamer and dies, with no issues on the Cartridge overall length and magazine length

extremely accurate, and great brass(AGD) is available also, but no flies on Winchester or Remington brass, a testimony of just how accurate this cartridge is:

7 Rem Mag-.210 freebore instead of the SAAMI freebore of .110 for the 175-180s on elk. Pac Nor can do this job for you.
26" 9 Twist barrel
175g at 2850 fps with R#22, cci 250
175 at 3050 fps with R#26, Federal 215
Both of these shoot groups less than 3/8" at 100 yds

150-154G AT 3200 with R#25 and Win Mag primers, shoot groups sub 3/8"

I killed two bulls with 140g Noslers at 3250 fps, a very top-end load of IMR 4350, Rem brass, Rem 9 1/2
sub 3/8" groups where the bullets were just barely touching the lands. Both Bulls flopped on bullet impact, one never even kicked a hind leg, the other kicked a hind leg once or twice, but neither even made the slightest effort to get up, DRT!

The 28 Nosler shoots the 175g-180g at 3100-3150 fps, and the 160ish at 3200-3350, equal to the 7 STW in all ways.

I have had all three, I am sticking with the 7 Rem Mag with a 27" #5 contour barrel where the word Accurate is an understatement, Not to mention the ease of load development, pick a bullet!

I have had several of the 257 Weatherby with very short freebore where the 100g are doing 3850 fps, shooting tiny bug holes,
110g Accubonds and 115g Bergers are doing 3600, all with amazing accuracy with very little recoil, using a Gentry muzzle break.
You see the bullet impact the animal, water vapor fly off the animal, and bullet impact many times after the bullet exits the animal.
A friend killed 6 Bulls with his Mark 5 using 117g Factory ammo, then a guide told him it was NOT an Elk round. He then got a 6.5/284 but the bulls started running off where previously they flopped. Again, Pac Nor can do the job on the 257 Weatherby with very short freebore.

OP, Consider having a switch barrel made for your Weatherby, very easy to do as the gunsmith sets the headspace, you just screw them on and off like Lug Nuts. Many consider the 30 calibers preferable to anything, but recoil goes up substantially unless you use a good Tactical type of muzzle break. The lowly 300 Winchester with a 200g is heavy-duty elk medicine, but the recoil is over my tolerance level.

Last edited:
Please drop some suggestions for re-furbing/re-chambering an old 270WbyMag I have in the safe. I'd be using it for Elk and Mulies.
Whatever you pick, go with something with market support for parts. About the closest thing in performce that is readily available would be the 28 nosler or possibly the 7 prc. If you're used to the high velocity and prefer that, id rock the 28 nosler. If you're good with a little less launch, the 7 prc is a well balanced cartridge thatll do everything most guys need.
7 prc, 28 nosler, 7 rem mag all available, as well as brass if you roll your own.

Site sponsor

Go 6.5-300 Weatherby…that'll get your blood running with a 7.5" or 8" twist. It was my last project that didn't get finished.The PRC line is a fad, nothing more and do not shoot any better than existing cartridges.

Cheers.
Well I bought a 7mm PRC, but I still want a 7mm Weatherby in a 8.5-9 twist rate.

+1 for 6.5-300…. It's one of my go to's for serious trophy hunting, and I have a lot of good magnum cartridges.
Go 6.5-300 Weatherby…that'll get your blood running with a 7.5" or 8" twist. It was my last project that didn't get finished.The PRC line is a fad, nothing more and do not shoot any better than existing cartridges.

Cheers.

Cheers.
That sure sounds like a fast twist for such a high velocity bullet….

Are you talking a new barrel? If so, time to ditch the belt, though the problems with a belted magnum are over rated. Assuming you reload. I'd step up to a .284" bullet if Elk are in the mix.

A 28 Nosler would be sweet as a hunting gun that does not see a lot of rounds down the barrel. 7mm PRC Is perhaps a little kinder to the barrel if you shoot more. For that matter, lots of decent 7mm RM brass out there too, if you want to ditch Wby brass and keep the belt - 7RM does not seem to burn up barrels as fast as the real overbore 7s. You could probably build any number cool wildcats on that action too.

Whatever you do, think it through and research. Decide your personal maximum range I think first. Consider the bullet class you desire thereafter (weight, SD, etc) and then work forward. If its 400 yards, life it easier. You can choose a medium weight bullet and aim for some speed. You want 1000 yards? You are in the swamp. Judging from the 163 posts since 2009, Indypendent is not a sudden 1200 yard shooter, but that's just me making inferences.....

Lastly, should you be partial to the .277 bore, there are lots of manufacturers making tighter twist .277 barrels capable of running the heavier .277 bullets. A 270 WSM, 27 Nosler, or keeping the 270 WBy are reasonable options with a new barrel with an 8 twist or so. But personally, I think elk with a .277 is something left to skilled experienced shooters. If you are in that category, don't need a guide telling you what to do etc, then OK....
I don't know that I buy into that. Having guided for Oregons big Roosevelt for nearly 40 years, I will say that I witnessed more 1 shot kills on them from a 270 Winchester and 130gr bullets than any other cartridge. I always recommend the 130gr Nosler Partition.

I've hunted with, the .270 Weatherby Mag for over 20+ Years, ( awesome Cart ) but Today,..
I'd Re-barrel / Chamber in, .270 WSM ( Same bbl. Contour, as your rifle now, in a Brux for, a "good" carry weight ) 26", 1-8 twist, IF, wanting to shoot the "Heavies" ( 165 -170's ) or, 1-9.5 to 1-10 tw. for, the AWESOME, 140 Berger Classic's at, 3,200 FPS or, more !
The 140 Berger Cl. Hunt., at, 3,200 FPS, kills Elk,.. like, the "Hammer of, Thor" with, a good Hit ( it's Flat and,.. Fast ! )
But, the 7 SAUM or, 7 PRC, would also BE,.. very Nice, too ! IMO,. .300- .338 Mag's are, NO Longer "needed" for Elk, with, TODAY's,.. Bullets / speeds.
WHY put up with, the Extra, Recoil !

Last edited:
I recommend a good
I'm a really big fan of the 270 Wby. Mag in a Mark V rifle. I love mine. I would suggest that you consider a Re barrel to .270 Weatherby Mag, 26 inch with a faster ( 8 ) twist and a longer throat., and threaded for a Muzzle Break. You could shoot the Nosler 150 Grn ABLR's all day long. and also the 160 Grn. Nosler AB; and the 170 Grn. Berger. My old 270 Weatherby mag performed extremely well, with its 1979 stock 26 #2 barrel, at 1000 and 1100 yards at the shooting school. 150 Grn ABLR at 3000 FPS. No Muzzle break, old stock Trigger . For the long Range shooting school, I used a Leupold VX 3 8.5X to 25 X WINDPLEX SCOPE on Steel Dual Dove Tail bases. Its a fine round with respectable ballistics!! You could easily improve performance with a fresh new barrel and faster twist. My Huble opinion.
this.

Something about "PRC" and "classic old weatherby Mark v" just feels WRONG going together.

It's your rifle, do as you like, but my opinion is a classic weatherby rifle really ought to be chambered in a classic weatherby cartridge. The .270 weatherby is so underrated and THE first big game cartridge Roy weatherby designed. It has panache, flair, swagger, an unrivalled cool factor or air of mystery about it.

Twist it faster and it's a monster for sure.

The 7mm weatherby is good one too, what the 7mm rem mag should have been but isn't. About the same capacity, totally trashes it ballistically because of the appropriate freebore and higher SAAMI chamber pressure.