Need powder for 300wsm/175 ELD-X

DartonJager

Been researching to death one or two powders to try for my new Tikka T3 300 WSM and 175 grain Hornady ELD-X bullets. For the sake of cost as I still have to scope the rifle, I'm tying to keep my powder purchases to a minimum of two.

H-4350, H-4831sc, Retumbo and RL-17 keep popping up as most reloaders go to powders for the 300 WSM and 175-180 grain bullets. I am also concerned about Alliant (and IMR powders as well) proven issues with temp sensitivity so I am wishing to avoid them, unless someone here has the data to disprove RL-17's temp sensitivity as over blown and not a factor.

So what I am hoping for is first hand experience advice here on preferably one powder among the ones I listed as the odds on most likely to give me maximum accuracy as accuracy for me trumps velocity. I'll take sub MOA and 100fps slower over more speed and less accuracy any day.

At this point my research is leading me towards H-4350 as my over all best powder to try first, so if anyone has advice to the contrary, please by all means educate me as to a superior alternative.

Thank you,
DJ/Art.

DJ, H4350 has performed best for us up to 185 gr. in 300WSM. It is also the hardest powder to find in my area. IMR 4451 is nearly identical to H4350 in burn rate and some are substituting it for H4350. The 4451 es in various temps is quite low also.
Good luck

What @Dosh and @sedancowboy said.

I have used H4350 for sub 200grn bullets and H4831 for above.

I worked up some reloads for my brothers 300wsm. Went thru 5 or 6 powders and same amount of bullets. We ended with 4350 and 168 Berger VLD bullets. This was the most accurate load and the velocity we were looking for. I am in Arizona for a couple of months but my data is at my home in Idaho, so I can't give you details. I recommend going by the book for starting loads anyway. You never know what path each rifle will take you down, for the most part they are all different . glbhunter

Been researching to death one or two powders to try for my new Tikka T3 300 WSM and 175 grain Hornady ELD-X bullets. For the sake of cost as I still have to scope the rifle, I'm tying to keep my powder purchases to a minimum of two.

H-4350, H-4831sc, Retumbo and RL-17 keep popping up as most reloaders go to powders for the 300 WSM and 175-180 grain bullets. I am also concerned about Alliant (and IMR powders as well) proven issues with temp sensitivity so I am wishing to avoid them, unless someone here has the data to disprove RL-17's temp sensitivity as over blown and not a factor.

So what I am hoping for is first hand experience advice here on preferably one powder among the ones I listed as the odds on most likely to give me maximum accuracy as accuracy for me trumps velocity. I'll take sub MOA and 100fps slower over more speed and less accuracy any day.

At this point my research is leading me towards H-4350 as my over all best powder to try first, so if anyone has advice to the contrary, please by all means educate me as to a superior alternative.

Thank you,
DJ/Art.

I have a Sako 75, so these 2 loads should be pretty good in your Tikka with the 178 ELDX
I found the ELDX liked to be seated deeper. My usual COAL with 180gr Accubonds and Partitions is 2.86", but the ELDX liked 2.830". I suggest you try the Berger loading protocol for finding the optimal seating depth because it works and saves a bunch of time.
64.5gr RL17, WLRM , 2995 fps
65.5gr HV100, WLRM, 3025 fps

If you want to shoot the 200gr ELDX
62.8gr RL17, WLRM, 2.855" COAL, 2950 fps

All velocities were from a MagnettoSpeed chronograph

My go to powder in a 300 WSM Kimber Montana is IMR 4350 for 180 gr. bullets.
This load is accurate in this rifle.
Case Win.
Primer Win. LR Mag.
Powder IMR 4350 65.0 Gr. (Sixty Five .0)
Hornady No. 7 list 66.5 (Sixty Six .5) Max.
180 Gr. Hornady 3/4 groups at 100 yds.
180 Gr. Sierra 9/16 " " 100 yds.
180 Gr. Nosler Part. around 1" at 100 yds.
O.A.C.L. 2.860

This rifle with 2.5X8 Leopold and sling weighs 7 1/4 lb.

I tried IMR 4831 and H 4831 in 2005 when I got this rifle.
I could not get enough powder in the WW Case to get to the listed velocity in the manuals I have.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.