Need load for Hornady ELD-X 175 grain 7MM WSM

I finally found some of the new Hornady ELD-X 175 grain bullets in 7MM. I have been trying to find any load data for the bullet in 7MM WSM. Hornady has no load data yet. I don't want to experiment. Can I start with a 10-15% reduction in data for the Hornady 175 grain SP? Just wondering. There are not a lot of WSM men in my neck of the woods, but I swear by them. 3 7 short mags, 2 300 short mags, and my baby, a Kimber 300 wsm converted to a 25-300 WSM or 25 pronghorn. New 26" Shilen barrel, MPI stock. The only thing left from the original Kimber Select is the action. What a sweet, sweet, very fast gun. But back to the 7....any ideas??

I just found a box of the 175gr ELD-X to try also.

With a Broughton 1 in 9 5C finished to 26", 7WSM saami spec chamber, I'm going to start with around 65gr of RL26 and work my way up.

I'm not real sure how the Sierra 175 would compare to the Hornady 175 but Alliant Reloder 26 has some data for them.

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

I currently shoot a 7wsm with 64.2 grains of RL26 at 2900fps with 180 grain Berger VLD's. It's quite a bit less than listed on Alliant's website but that's what my rifle likes.

Below is the reply I received from Hornady tech support when I inquired about load data for the 175g ELD-X in my 7mm Rem Mag using H1000. For the 7mm WSM, I would look to the Hornady Reloading Manual for 175 g bullets. My practice is to start well below mid-point and work my way up from there looking for a load that groups well and has higher velocity. pay close attention to pressure signs Usually there are at least two nodes where the groups start coming together. I take the faster of the two nodes and start experimenting with variations around that load. First with minor variations in powder and then with shooting depth. I actually ended up with a load using IMR 7828.

At this time we are using the data from our 9th ed. Loading manual for the 175 gr. Wt. bullets. H 1000 start is 53.8 gr. To a max of 60.4 gr. This would be with the ELD-X 175 gr. Thanks

From: Hornady Manufacturing, Inc [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2016 4:01 PM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.