Need new bolt for rem model 700 270

Niceshot

just got back from the range with my son and after one shot his 270 bolt would not open. We have had a buddy load all of his loads for years and I think something got messed up with the load. The bolt cracked and the brass lettering was staped on the bolt face. Thank god he was ok and just a little more smoke than normal. Gun is at the smiths but it's pretty apparently the bolt is shot. Can you order a complete bolt from Remington? I have read that you can't. Figured some of you would know best.
Thanks
Mike

Possibly you can get a new bolt from Remington, but they'll want you pay for it (handloads void your warranty, from what I hear...No personal experience, as I refuse to ever send a gun back to the manufacturer for repair, since I have a gunsmith buddy), but you would be leaps and bounds ahead (if the receiver checks-out not being damaged) to send it to Dave Kiff over at PT&G and have them blueprint it, and fit one of their aftermarket bolts into it.

Hell, you can buy 700 bolts on eBay all day long for $100-200, but the serial number won't match your receiver, and might need to be headspaced to your receiver for a proper fit. All Rem bolts have the last 4 digits of the S/N etched into them. Old school guns were hand-etched on the bolt body, bottom-side, right next to the firing pin cocking lever...The newer guns it's stamped on the inside of the bolt handle.

to send it to Dave Kiff over at PT&G and have them blueprint it, and fit one of their aftermarket bolts into it.

I agree in principle with everything above except this, without a little more information.

If you 'blueprint' an action and bolt, the gunsmith usually cuts the threads as well. This will eliminate the ability to use the original barrel as described in the original post. You'll need a new barrel.

I also agree that you should avoid sending it back to Remington since there are other methods more readily available to solve your problem. The simplest is buying a new bolt from PTG and having them or your choice of gunsmiths, fit it to your receiver. They have had factory bolts for sale in the past. The second would be to place a 'WANTED' ad in the classified section of these forums asking for a Rem.700 LA bolt.

Be sure to have the action body checked carefully for any stress damage which occurred when the bolt was damaged.

I have quite a few blueprinted actions that are still using factory-threaded barrels. All you do is square up the top of the threads in the receiver and ensure they're cut properly, you don't have to completely clean them off and re-cut them, unless you have a serious issue with your receiver that needs fixing.

I have quite a few blueprinted actions that are still using factory-threaded barrels. All you do is square up the top of the threads in the receiver and ensure they're cut properly, you don't have to completely clean them off and re-cut them, unless you have a serious issue with your receiver that needs fixing.

Varying opinions is what keeps a good discussion, good.

In many cases, it's the definition of the term 'blueprinting' which causes the disagreement, which is this case in particular. You and I have a different definition from which we work, that's all. I wasn't pointing out right or wrong, just different.

I see no reason to use a factory barrel at all, let alone after the action has been blueprinted, whether your way or mine. There are certainly situations where a specific factory barrel performs above and beyond what is normally found as far as accuracy and repeatability are concerned. But those are the exceptions, not the rule. If that degree of accuracy is acceptable to the owner, then there can't be a quarrel at all since he or she is satisfied.

I've worked with virtually all new custom barrels as replacements for the factory original barrels or as new full builds. I see no reason to re-use a factory barrel or to do set backs and chamber clean ups for them. The money invested is rarely, if ever, recouped.

Again, this is my opinion which may not be shared by others. And I'm good with that.

Regards.

Thank you guys for the comments. This was a mad rush to get it done so we installed a bolt out of another Rem and had the local smith do the head space work. Shoots just as good as before so the kid will let lead fly in Wy this year.

I'd be less worried about a new bolt and more worried about what the hell happened so you don't repeat it w/ less than favorable results.

Amen Ohio hunter , I would not shoot those reloads anymore. I would tell him I was now using factory loads. Good way for the son to start flinching , I hope not. Good hunting and be safe.

I guess ill be they guy (im usually the hater on the liability guys but i think it needs to be said)
Never shoot anyone's reloads. It was a long time coming that something bad was going to happen. The only way to be sure of anything is weighing, and measuring, verifying, and concentrating on what you are doing. It's like working on a car, bring it to the manufacturers shop and there is some liability to them, do it yourself...you want to make sure you arent going to mess up your car and you do the best you can. Have a buddy work on it, maybe it does it right once or twice, but eventually he might say "hmm close enough, im sure it will be fine" and something bad happens. I'm not saying that happened, but you can't prove it didn't happen, and thats the point.

If the pressure of the defective cartridge was so great that it broke the bolt, what stress did that load put on the action? Is the action still safe? Should it be tested before you reuse it?

Good luck

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.