Need help with velocity measurements.

jsimonh

I'm having a little problem figuring my velocity for my .270.

Specs: Sendero w\26 inch 1:10 twist barrel.

I loaded up 59.5grs of H4831sc which is a half grain under max and avearged 3140fps for 5 shots. In my manual and the Hodgdon website 59.9grs should yield a velocity of 3010.

Also I loaded up some 150gr Berger VLD's with 57gr of H4831sc which yielded a 5 shot average of 2963fps. The Berger load data has 57.5gr as max load with a velocity of 2899 out of a 26" barrel.

I tested the Chrony with HV .22 bullets and it avearged about 20fps less than what was advertised on the box, so I think the chrony is fairly accurate.

I'm still pretty new in the reloading game, and I'm just wanting to make sure that my info is correct. I just don't see why my velocity is so much higher than the max listed and I'm using less powder to get them.

Any Ideas?

Every barrel reacts differently to a load. Most of the time my results are slower than the posted loads. That is why loads need to be "worked up", because each particular barrel is slightly different than any other barrel ever made. Sort if like fingerprints, every one is different. Anyway, you should be completely elated that your rifle shoots like it does, that is if it is also accurate!

Thanks for the reply. The SMK's didn't group worth a crap, but the Bergers gave me 1/2 inch 5 shot group at 115 yards. I was pretty satisfied.

Sounds like you may have a good load worked up. When you shoot it long range you will be able to test your drops for that velocity and then you'll know if they're accurate. If using Exbal, it's easy to validate your load.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.