Need help with barreling a 280 RCBS

That is not much more than internet hearsay. In theory that could be done, but it's only theory. I know of no one who has gone that route. It's just something that gets repeated on the interdnet. He won't take it to a knowledgeable gunsmith now to have the barrel installed properly. Just how many gunsmiths have a surface grinder in their shop? Not many! He can't figure out what he has now! How will he figure out how thick the lug should be ? He has no gauges, no depth micrometer.. If he did, he'd know which way to go. Machine shops charge by the hour. Those around here charge more than most gunsmiths, and even if the job only took a half hour, they'd charge the full hour. many won't touch anything firearms related. Ok, say you get that thinner recoil lug that brings head space into spec, but now the end of the bolt contacts the barrel. Go the other way and install a thicker lug and then you'll have more case unsupported by the chamber. How much? You don't know until you make the measurements. Bottom line, installing a shouldered barrel, or any barrel for that matter, when you don't have the understanding of "why" isn't the smartest thing to do. They ain't "drop-in"!

I know what I have now. I need gages to figure out if i need to take it to a smith or not. If the bolt closes on the go gage and not on the no-go, then I'm set.

And the one known smith around here couldn't help me anyway. If it needs a smith, I'll let them figure out how to get it right. I don't need to measure anything.

Never said it was a 'drop in'. If i did, I wouldn't be looking for gages. I know "why" I need them.

That is not much more than internet hearsay. In theory that could be done, but it's only theory. I know of no one who has gone that route. It's just something that gets repeated on the interdnet. He won't take it to a knowledgeable gunsmith now to have the barrel installed properly. Just how many gunsmiths have a surface grinder in their shop? Not many! He can't figure out what he has now! How will he figure out how thick the lug should be ? He has no gauges, no depth micrometer.. If he did, he'd know which way to go. Machine shops charge by the hour. Those around here charge more than most gunsmiths, and even if the job only took a half hour, they'd charge the full hour. many won't touch anything firearms related. Ok, say you get that thinner recoil lug that brings head space into spec, but now the end of the bolt contacts the barrel. Go the other way and install a thicker lug and then you'll have more case unsupported by the chamber. How much? You don't know until you make the measurements. Bottom line, installing a shouldered barrel, or any barrel for that matter, when you don't have the understanding of "why" isn't the smartest thing to do. They ain't "drop-in"!

You asked how it could be "fixed" without the correct reamer.
There wasn't a "condition" that it be done without a gunsmith.
I was simply saying that if I had the rifle in my hands, I would determine what, if anything, needed to be done to correct headspace- and I would do it via the recoil lug assuming the dimensional change would be minimal, as one would expect.

Nothing "theoretical" about it.
You've never used plastigage, or soft solder, crushed against the boltface to measure headspace clearance??

Nope, don't have a surface grinder in the shop. But there's one 20 minutes from me.
An hour of their time is sure less that ordering a custom reamer- then mounting/dialing in the barrel, reaming/setting back, yada yada.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.