Need help to decided on ar 15 caliber

For a dedicated Pig rifle I would recommend a 450 Bushmaster for an all round rifle that could be used for Pigs, the 6.8 SPC would be my recommended smallest cartridge to use. Anything in between the two would be ok. It depends on your hunting conditions as to how big of a hammer you want.

We eat our pigs most of the time and recovery is important. Many want a rifle for management and almost any cartridge will work to eliminate pest hogs.

J E CUSTOM

Last December I bought a Bear Creek Armory AR15 in a 7.62x39. Complete gun. then it was $365.00. Unbelievable. That's the whole gun. Shoots Russian Wolf 124 gr hp at 1 1/8 inch 100 yard groups. If You have a AR you could just buy upper and snap it on your lower you already own. Fun to shoot super cheap ammo. Good too 200 yards. MD

For a dedicated Pig rifle I would recommend a 450 Bushmaster for an all round rifle that could be used for Pigs, the 6.8 SPC would be my recommended smallest cartridge to use. Anything in between the two would be ok. It depends on your hunting conditions as to how big of a hammer you want.

We eat our pigs most of the time and recovery is important. Many want a rifle for management and almost any cartridge will work to eliminate pest hogs.

J E CUSTOM

I'm with J E 👍🏻

6.8 spc with a stout bullet between 90 and 120 grains in an area or ruger m77mkII has harvested DOZENS of elk at 200-300 yds for my brothers and my family...

6.8spc will DRT man or beast inside 300...

I would be hesitant to take on a small bear head on with a 5.56 AR, 25 round mag of 6.8spc I will take on a platoon of bears gladly! Lots of killin power in a sub 8 lb scoped rifle, yet at 1.5x I can clear a shooting house COMFORTABLY!!! MY goto truck gun with acog4x and 2 coyotes past 400 yards!!! A true ALL AROUND rifle...

I agree with AlphaDogs, for a dedicated pig cartridge it's very hard to beat a 458 SOCOM or 450 Bushmaster. The Bushmaster has easier to find and less expensive factory loads. I have used the SOCOM version since it was introduced in law enforcement applications, it was originally designed as a round intended to break engine blocks in a dignitary type convoy to disable attack vehicles by destroying the engine and penetrate the firewall and dash to kill the driver. It has also found a home in some entry teams, imagine a large 500-600 grain bullets at just under subsonic speed, suppressed. Very controllable and very effective. I do like the Wilson Combat 300 Ham'r as well. The 6.8 and 6.5 variants certainly will work but for the thick shoulder plate of a large pig I'll take the .45 caliber all day.

I'm too lazy to build so I just bought the complete upper from RRA in 300 blackout. I love this round because nothing changes for me as far as magazines and such and when the 5.56 case no longer can be reloaded because the neck split I toss that case into the 5 gallon buck where I will give it a new life, chop the neck off and transform it into a .300 round. Does a good job on all kinds of swine.

I built a 450 bushmaster last year and love it, shot two deer this winter and it really packs punch out to 200 yards. I haven't tried it on hogs yet but I think it would work good. The only downside to it would be magazine capacity is a bit limited with this caliber.