Need help Savage 112bvss

I had no idea Savage flip flopped on their guns like they do. I got the gun on gunbroker for $595 and they told me it is brand new. I can't find any info on Savages website. So I guess it is a few years old. Anyway is the price I paid a good deal? Again here's the link to the gun
(#6168) SAVAGE MODEL 112BVSS 6.5X284 NORMA : Bolt Action at GunBroker.com

Yeah, that is a good deal. It is a nice rifle for that kind of money. Though Log Hog just ordered one, so maybe it is an available model that can be ordered from Savage. It may be a left over. Who knows. The more I learn about Savage the more I find out they try to accommodate there customers with what they want.

Tank

loosesniper2K,
That is pretty weird. I just saw a 112BVSS 6.5X284 in a gunshop yesterday and I'm walking out the door to get it! That is a good deal. The one I'm going to get is $599.99 new. Be back soon. JohnnyK.

Strange coincidence! I wanted that caliber in the new 111 Long range hunter but they are far and few between. When I saw this I just had to get it. BTW there is another one on Gunbroker in case anybody is interested

Got back, finally. Background check took 2.5hrs. I felt like I was waiting for a baby to be born. Gonna cleaner' up and adjust the AccuTrigger. JohnnyK.

Has anyone ever heard of a long action model 12 BVSS? I've got one. The stainless barrel is stamped model 12 and the bolt from my 112BVSS in .300WinMag fits it perfectly and vice versa. Guess that LA/SA rule (SA = 12, LA = 112) isn't alway true.
I adjusted the AccuTrigger as low as it would go but haven't measured the pull weight yet. Feels to be close to 2lbs. I checked the twist rate and the first time it came up 1-7, I thought great! I checked it several more times and it comes out closer to 8". Good enough for the heavier pills.
I can hardly wait to get some dies and brass for it. JohnnyK.

Guys like I said I just picked up one also 112BVSS long action repeater same price if I recall. As far as I can tell 1:8 twist. I did notice it was awful dirty for a new rifle. I also noticed alot of marks on the crown. The "a" in norma was cut quite deeper than the rest. I think I might have bought a factory second. No matter to me I have an appointment with a smith for some tuning next week when I pickup another one. Head space, clean up the crown, lap barrel, flute bolt, and if I can find someone to put a adjustable cheek piece in the stock I would do that. Anybody got any ideas. Or else I will get a russo or a hart laminate stock.

Brent

Guys like I said I just picked up one also 112BVSS long action repeater same price if I recall. As far as I can tell 1:8 twist. I did notice it was awful dirty for a new rifle. I also noticed alot of marks on the crown. The "a" in norma was cut quite deeper than the rest. I think I might have bought a factory second. No matter to me I have an appointment with a smith for some tuning next week when I pickup another one. Head space, clean up the crown, lap barrel, flute bolt, and if I can find someone to put a adjustable cheek piece in the stock I would do that. Anybody got any ideas. Or else I will get a russo or a hart laminate stock.

Brent

Make sure you post some pics if you can. I would like to see the work when it is done. :cool:

Tank

Sorry it took a little bit to get back to you guys. I payed around $530 for the gun and it is very nice! I was told by my friend at the sports shop that his dealer rep has around 70 of them and they were only a dealer special, nothing you can see on savages web site. I'm new to the caliber and new to reloading but ready to give her hell! I was thinking about going with 338 Lupa but the guns are very spendy. I've been getting into the long range shooting and enjoy it! I've been running with a 7mm Mag for many year and been pretty lucky but want a gun I can crank out to 880 and 1000yds. Mainly I have been shooting @ 600! Now I need help in picking out the right scope! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!! so many out there! I have a couple of Leupold now but was considering Night Force! Any comments?

Brent
Hey brent did you get yours off gunbroker or at a shop? I got the same rifle as you off gunbroker and was looking it over today and noticed the same thing on mine with the a in norma cut deeper. they must have had quite a few of the seconds.

Rupert1,

"same thing on mine with the a in norma cut deeper"

Mine too. My rifle is really unique, I think, as the gunshop tag described it as a Model 112BVSS but the barrel is stamped model 12BVSS and it is a long action. I didn't notice that until I got it home. That could be confusing to a novice trying to buy one piece bases for the model number on the barrel. I'm very pleased with mine so far.

LogHog,

"but was considering Night Force!"

Great glass.

JohnnyK.

If you want to NF and can afford to do so, that would be the way to go unless you can afford an S&B or US optics. The Leupy MKIV is also a good option.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts