Need help narrowing choices down

kbb468

I am planning on purchasing a new hunting rifle and would appreciate any response helping me narrow my choices or just providing good info. From what I have read Savages are pretty good out of the box for the price.

firearm = Savage 12fvss
caliber = ????? (considering 300WSM, 338 Win Mag, 300 Win Mag)

The intention as far as distance of shot is max of 500-600 yds for this next rig. I really want something that produces a BANG-Flop reaction. I plan on using a Muzzle Break-Holland QD to allow for a pleasant day of shooting at the range. I already have a 308win, 270win, and 30-06 in my collection, so I'm looking for a jump in performance such as energy delivered to deer size game. I would like something where the ammo I use is available from the average sporting good store.

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
I really want something that produces a BANG-Flop reaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of the calibers you listed that you already have will do this. That is if they have the accuracy to hit the bang-flop zone. And they won't beat on you like the others you listed that you want.

Probably not the answer you are looking for but I would get the savage in .308 and really tune her up and develop a good load. Shoot longer, shoot cheaper, shoot with more comfort, Shoot more often.

Then when hunting season comes so will the B.F.

Or go with the .300 win mag. It has a great history with plenty power. Tons of load info and bullet choices available for it as well.

2 cents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think bullet placement has far more to do with bang flop then caliber. Not to say you dont need power, but a "little" 25-06 will give you bang flop performance on deer to 500 yards when you put the 115 btip in its shoulder. I believe in shoulder shots for anchoring game on the spot. Not the traditional behind the shoulder. Just my 2 cents. As above stated, for deer size, you already have plenty of power for bang flop performance, given you put the bullet in its shoulder and not behind its shoulder.

I would go with the 300 WSM.

Not sure why, but we seem to be getting less throat erosion that other mags. My last barrel went 2300 rds and still took 9th at the Nationals. Others are having even better luck.

You can take the 300 WSM with 190-210s easily and right at 3000 fps.

BH

Of the three I would have to lean toward the 300 WIn Mag. The 338 Win Mag is really much more then you need for your intended use. Just no need for that much bullet and recoil.

The 300 WSM is a great choice but every little po-dunk sporting good store may not have that ammo on the shelf. This is a requirement you list for the chambering selection. For that reason I would lean toward the 300 WIn Mag.

That said, all three are far more gun then you need for your intended purpose but being overgunned is a myth in my opinion, dead is dead and dead is the goal we all want, quickly.

Personally, for your range limits and game you will be hunting, I would look at the 7mm rounds. A 7mm Rem Mag would be very hard to beat in a quality rifle. Loaded with a quality 160 gr class bullet you will easily get your performance at these ranges.

Plus the velocity potential is not so high that you can not use bullets such as the Berger and A-Max offerings which work ell on deer size game as well as the 160 gr Accubond or some of the high BC Wildcat Bullets in the 150 to 160 gr weight range.

For 500-600 yard shooting there is no need for a 175 gr bullet in a 7mm. The 150 and 160 gr class bullets will actually shoot flatter because of their velocity advantge at these ranges.

For a 30 cal round, I would look at the 165 to 180 gr bullet weights as well.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

As what everybody has said it is the shot placement that makes bang flop. I have seen awesome performance in all 3 calibers. I have a 300win wich I'm starting to think is shot out. Used it for varmits /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif My brother has the 300wsm and it dosen't shoot overly good but it's in an winchester. I havent had very good luck with them. It still carries quite the whack though. Then my dad has the 338 and it has killed alot of stuff in the past. More than 15 elk and who nows how many deer. I think you are going the correct route with the savage though. I have had good luck with remmies to. Then again my dads first rifle was a 300win when he was a kid. Also killed alot of stuff between him and his friends. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fiftydriver,

I mentioned the 3 above because I have heard a lot of good info about each. I didn't think of the 7mm with the assumption bigger is better and like you said dead is dead and you want it to happen quick. What about the 7mm WSM? I know I said I don't reload but i will soon(3 months away).I also want something a little different. Only if I could afford one of your Allen Magnums.

Is it a good idea to go with the Holland QD break on any of the choices? So the myth to bang flop is actually where the shot is placed (neck, shoulder, just above the shoulder, heart/lung).
Also as you can see from my list this quest is just to have another. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Like a bag of chips, you can't just eat one chip.
Thanks for the info.

Kbb468,

The thing to remember is that as you increase in bullet diameter, you will generally have to increase bullet weight to keep with a standard of ballistic performance.

Yes, the larger bullet diameters will have more visual effect when they land on target, but again, only if they are placed in the correct place. A gut shot deer is a gut shot deer weither your shooting a 243 or a 408 CT, makes no difference, you will more then likely loose the animal unless you have good tracking conditions.

The 7mm rounds are a good balance of energy, penetration, ballistic performance and ease of shooting. Rounds such as the 7mm WSM are great for long range shooting on deer size game and even elk with proper shot placement.

At the expense of sounding boring, there is nothing wrong with the old 7mm Rem Mag either. More performance then the 7mm WSM and nearly as popular as the 270 and 30-06. Just not SEXY!!

If you want bang flops, use a quality bullet in an accurate rifle and put the bullet where it needs to go for a one shot kill. The rest is mearly details but that is also the fun part!!

Hell, if everyone only had one rifle, I would be stocking shelves at Walmart instead of building rifles!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I was always prone to take my 243 when hunting deer out of state. perfect blend of terminal bullistics and recoil. I would almost consider a 308 overkill on all but the big northern deer. I concur with the other esteemed gentleman that placement is everything. A hunting weight rifle in a big magnum caliber can develop a flinch. I know quite a few farmers that have 1 shot killed plenty of deer with a 22-250 or even more prevalent, the 30-30. I have a savage model 10FP with a 20" barrel and the accutrigger system. After sighting in- the first bipod and sandbag group to come out of the barrel was 5 rounds .462 center to center. The recoil is pretty brutal in a 308 this size, and they make them in 300 WM! I affixed a Gemtech Bi-Lock and TPR-S silencer to help with recoil. A brake would darn near deafen a hunter unless you take time to put ears on. I highly recommend the savage for cost/quality ratio. Accuracy is their main goal.

Savage 308
My Fav hunting Rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
300 Whisper
My quiet Hunting rifle {notice the projectile size} /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
AR30 338LM
Serious BANG, Serious FLOP. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
shot placement that makes bang flop. I have a 300win wich I'm starting to think is shot out. Used it for varmits /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Screech,thats the bang vaporize,not the bang flop. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kbb468,
Savage rifles are all I own and all are very accurate. I recommend the 300 Win mag. My buddy who is also a Savage fan recently bought a Stevens by Savage in 300 Win mag. He took it to Williams Gun Sight Co. in Davison,MI and had them put on their own muzzle break. It cost him $179.00. He shoots it at the range with only a T-shirt on. He also shot two caribou with it. One went bang flop and the other stumbled his body length and then flopped.

kbb468,
Go to buy, sell trade ect. section. Look under guns for sale. This might be what your looking for! I'm thinking about it myself but will wait for you to decide first. Let me know what your going to do.

cjp45
Can you post the link to the post you mention "guns for sale"? I don't seem to be able to find what you are talking about.

I noticed you signature and I have a 12FVSS in 223 with a swift scope. Great combination!

Deciding on the next rifle is dificult when you realize the possible combinations of barrels, barrel length, calibers, and stocks. Because I do plan on reloading I have been kind of turned away from the belted magnum cases somewhat from what i've read on this site. Meaning the members who seem to be having some type of problems with belted case and not with non-belted cases. But yet I am still considering one. I have now been thinking of the 300 WSM and the 7mm based on what fiftydriver posted. Does Savage make a heavy 26" barrel 7MM and if so where would I get and after market stock?

Thanks for all the replys.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.