Need Gunsmith Who Can Thread TC Encore Barrel .300 Win Mag for Muzzle Brake

Veteran

I have a TC Encore Rifle with a 28 inch .300 Win Mag barrel. I purchased a 5 port super beast muzzle brake with 5/8 x 24 threads.
It is not a self timed brake. It will have to be timed.

I want to have the end of the barrel threaded for the muzzle brake and I want to install and integrate the muzzle brake with either an EC tuner or
an ATS barrel tuner. I am guessing it may have to be the tapered version of the ATS Tuner in order to fit.

Attached is a photo of my barrel end on a TC Encore .300 WM rifle. It is .8000 in diameter at the tip of the muzzle end. There is only .51 inches from the end of the fluting to end of barrel where it would need to be threaded. Please see picture attached below. I have purchased a 5 Port Super Beast muzzle brake with 5/8x 24 threads for this barrel size.

Here's the problem.

I consulted one gunsmith and he said he couldn't do this because of the welded breach block on the Encore barrel and how that will not fit properly in his lathe set up. That said, it can be done and there are some gunsmiths who specialize in that platform. The area that is left after the fluting is not long enough for threads, and whoever does it may be cutting into the flutes.

Does anyone know a great gunsmith who has actually threaded some TC Encore barrels and knows how to thread a fluted muzzle and has the equipment to do it?

Any referrals will be much appreciated. Feel feee to PM me too.

Attachments

• Muzzle end Picture.jpg
    Muzzle end Picture.jpg
    810.4 KB · Views: 220
Mike Bellm is good guy and suggest calling him first.
LINK:Mike Bellm

Aplaces off hand might be SKS in Ohio. He dies Encore wildcats and others.
LINK:SKS

E.Arthur Brown another place, I have not done business with them but they have been around.
EBrown

Hope this helps. Mike Bellm will give you the best opinion I believe.
Regards,
Craig

Yeah, I already thought about that.
ATS makes a tapered tuner that fits around the barrel behind the threads and the muzzle brake is what actually threads on. I would at least like a muzzle brake, but maybe it just wont work. My usual gunsmith says it can be done but he doesnt want to do it because he knows the threads will go into the fluting, and his employer wont let him because it is hard on their machinery but he said there are people who specialize in that....he just can't tell me who cause its against policy....so if I dont find someone who is qualified, I will just have to reconsider.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Chad explains what they have to do with TC's in the link provided. He'd be my first go to.

First Encore's are extremely light weight and a 300WM has got to be ugly to shoot. I had friend that had rare 338WM barrel, sold it after about 50 rds. Went to ER to repair his eyebrow😱. I have a 12 GA barrel for mine. The word unpleasant is not even close. They weight about 7 lbs and that alone is problem. Long eye relief is mandatory or you will look like you went couple rounds with Mike Tyson! Standard cartridges and they are ok but with belted mags they are vicious. I can easily see a brake on a 300WM barrel, my 12 barrel is too thin (not standard TC barrel).

I just remembered Gentry Custom Brakes in MT, has done couple 460 barrels for couple of friends of mine and might be able to help.
LINK: Gentry Brakes

Also if you decide to go new barrel, Preferred Barrel can do brakes.
LINK:Preferred Barrel

I have a TC Encore Rifle with a 28 inch .300 Win Mag barrel. I purchased a 5 port super beast muzzle brake with 5/8 x 24 threads.

I want to have the end of the barrel threaded for the muzzle brake and I want to install and integrate the muzzle brake with either an EC tuner or
an ATS barrel tuner. I am guessing it may have to be the tapered version of the ATS Tuner in order to fit.

Attached is a photo of my barrel end on a TC Encore .300 WM rifle. It is .8000 in diameter at the tip of the muzzle end. There is only .51 inches from the end of the fluting to end of barrel where it would need to be threaded. Please see picture attached below. I have purchased a 5 Port Super Beast muzzle brake with 5/8x 24 threads for this barrel size.

Here's the problem.

I consulted one gunsmith and he said he couldn't do this because of the welded breach block on the Encore barrel and how that will not fit properly in his lathe set up. That said, it can be done and there are some gunsmiths who specialize in that platform. The area that is left after the fluting is not long enough for threads, and whoever does it may be cutting into the flutes.

Does anyone know a great gunsmith who has actually threaded some TC Encore barrels and knows how to thread a fluted muzzle and has the equipment to do it?

Being an Encore it's probably far less expensive to just buy a new barrel and have it threaded...or already factory threaded!

It will not hurt any to cut into flutes. I did it on mine and wanted proper thread depth so you have to cut into flutes for proper depth. Only cosmetic cutting into flutes. Now if you want to use the ats tuner then you will need Threads longer than 1/2 inch thats for sure as the threads on the ats will take up about .250 of the threads. Here is a picture I took before threading. This barrel is long enough the welded part stuck out the back of headstock just fine. The length here is .625 inches and they are .625 round.

Attachments

• 20210906_140332.jpg
    20210906_140332.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 153
I have had 3 Encore barrels, all pistol, 15" tapered threaded and had muzzle breaks installed in the last year. A good smith can do it. I use Bayside Custom Gunworks, Chris Rhodes, Newcastle, WY. He has also done 15" barrels on XP100 pistols and he does a great job on rifles.
Seems like it's about $200 for a Harrel Break and installation. I also had him Cerekote the barrels which I think was another $60 or $70 each for the barrels. He threads the barrel, new crown, installs the break to where you can tell it is not part of the barrel. I think he had my barrels about 3-4 weeks.
Here is the link- Bayside Custom Gunworks
He is going to do my next custom Xp or Rifle, whichever I find a donor for first.
Good luck.
Mike

Here's the problem.

Can you send me a picture of the muzzle brake?

There is marginal room to cut threads for the brake.

If the brake will allow, I have continued the existing fluting into the brake itself for cosmetic purposes.

I install at least 12 muzzle brakes a year and have been in business since 1972.