Need answer ASAP

Clem Bronkoski

Is there an advantage to mounting a scope using higher rings than necessary? My rifle has and adjustable cheekpiece so aligning my eye to the scope is no problem.

Higher mounts are used for bigger scopes, a 40mm lens will work with low ones but a 50mm lena will need higher ones so the end of the scope clears the barrel.

I had to get higher ones to fit my Vortex 50mm when I replaced a 40mm lens.

Well I had high rings on my rifle and had quite a bit of space between the barrel and the bottom of the scope. So I went and bought a set of medium height rings and put them on figuring there would be no problem. But alas it didn't work out. The bell of the scope is hitting the rail!
My only other option is to remove the scope and the rail and cut about an inch off of it. This would not effect the mounting screws but I'm sure the cut would be as ugly as sin using a hacksaw. I could use a Dremel tool and then buff it up. What say you all? It seems like a lot of work for about 1/4" of scope height.

Well I had high rings on my rifle and had quite a bit of space between the barrel and the bottom of the scope. So I went and bought a set of medium height rings and put them on figuring there would be no problem. But alas it didn't work out. The bell of the scope is hitting the rail!
My only other option is to remove the scope and the rail and cut about an inch off of it. This would not effect the mounting screws but I'm sure the cut would be as ugly as sin using a hacksaw. I could use a Dremel tool and then buff it up. What say you all? It seems like a lot of work for about 1/4" of scope height.
Don't hacksaw your mount. Get a different one!
What rifle, mount, and scope are you using?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.