Need an Accurate 22lr/17hmr/22mag

Azshios84

Im looking for a really accurate rimfire caliber in either of those 3 calibers as listed above, or something that has decent ammo prices and ammo stock. This rifle will just be for punching paper and rockchucks. I'd prefer a bolt or lever action. My price range is under $500 not including scope.
My top choices have been:
Savage Mark II: 93 BTVS, 93 BRJ, 93 TR
CZ Series
These have been the top recommendations for my price range, The dealer (Sportsmens =/ ) said it would be pretty difficult to get a CZ or any of the other match grade rimfire rifles where I live. So just looking for some input, seeing what everyone else uses and has good results with.

I have only shot one Savage 22 but it was very accurate for the $200 that it cost. I myself owned a Savage 17 HMR that I paid $235 a few years back and it was the most accurate rimfire I had ever owned. It would keep 10 shots into 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards if there was no wind.

My little brother has a Ruger 77/22 that feels great and shoots even better. The trigger is absolutely terrible but he's still able to keep 5 shots around 1/2 inch at 50 yards. I liked his gun so much that when I found a Ruger 77/17 for sale I bought it and sold my savage. I also purchased a second barrel in 22 mag from Green Mountain barrels and I'm happy to report that it is now the most accurate rimfire I've ever owned.

When testing out different ammo in the 22 mag I had numerous 10 shot groups that went into the 1/2 inch mark at 100 yards. It became my practice rig because if I couldn't keep my groups small with that gun I knew I needed to work on my technique again.

I personally like the Ruger best because it feels more like a center fire rifle than any of the other rimfires do. However, If I were in your particular boat I'd probably go with the Savage just because it seems you're more likely to get one that shoots well and you can buy lots of ammo with the money you save. Also if you're going with a rifle to shoot rock chucks at further than 75 yards I'd tell you to go with a 17 hmr or the 22 mag. If your rifle is more of a plinking and target practice gun than I'd go with just a 22 lr.

Alright, Thanks for your replies. Im really thinking about the Marlin XT series too, About half the price of the savage, but still a bull barrel and accutrigger (Marlins Version anyways)

As far as caliber goes...I would recommend .22 LR unless it's primarily a hunting gun or you need to frequently go beyond 100 yards on these rockchucks. If shots are routinely under 100 yards, then you don't need anything heavier than the .22 LR, imho.

For me, there is nothing better than for practice than a .22 LR due to the long barrel time, ability to spot my own hits, and relative inexpensiveness of ammo. I practice with Fed bulk pack 36g HP's and have no problem making hits on a 5" gong at 200 yards...if I do everything right and make a good wind call.

I use CCI Velocitors for hunting and kill a lot of groundhogs at right around 100 yards. 125 is my self-imposed max range for groundhogs with a .22 LR, but they are "DRT" every time I put the bullet in the chest or head at even those ranges.

The CZ seems to be better built than the Savage; nicer fit/finish, more solid feeling action and just as accurate or more so, but...the Savage is very hard to beat for the price. I hate the cheap stock on my Mark 2-FV, but it still consistently puts 5 Wolf MT's under .25" (center to center measurement) @ 50 yards, so I can live with that until I have the money for a stock upgrade.

As someone else mentioned, most of the Savages are excellent shooters, so it's hard to go wrong. Even their very basic model shoots great if you can get used to the crummy pre-AccuTrigger trigger. Wal-Mart still sells the Mark 2-F for about $125, I think.

Just my experience and a few thoughts. Take it for what it's worth.
Hope your search goes well!

-The Kid.

Thanks Deadly
Like you said Ive heard lots of people that say you cant go wrong with a Savage, But they do have the lower end of the stocks. Ive really taken a liking to this Marlin though. Wood stock, Marlins version of the Accu-Trigger, bull barrel and it had a very nice feeling action. Its about half the price of the Savage rifle, and about 1/3 of the price of the CZ. Whats your views on this Marlin? I believe its the Marlin XT-17V, But I couldve sworn it was a .22lr.
Marlin Model XT-17
I would prefer a .22lr vs 17 hmr. Just because of ammo prices.

You talking about this one: Marlin Model XT-22 ?

I have no personal experience with this, but it looks like a really nice entry-grade rifle.

It looks like a nice set of features and if you like the way it handles and are ok with the trigger, then the only thing to do is to find someone who can vouch for the accuracy. Marlin's are historically decent to great shooters and I'd be surprised if this isn't even better than the "oldies". I have a Marlin 15-YN that my kid sister loves to shoot...it's quite an accurate gun with the same Micro-groove rifling as the XT-22 barrels. I would imagine you will be very happy with that Marlin...esp for the prices I'm seeing

Tracked down a review on the rifle, but again, you need to find someone you trust to give you some feedback on the rifle's general accuracy capabilities.

The FAL Files Forums - Marlin XT22 Review - Out of the Box

Regardless of what rifle you buy, just "bite the bullet" and buy a box of as many difference ammo types as you can find and test them all through your gun before you settle on one for each application. As I mentioned, I have three different loads that I run through my gun; one each for hunting, competition/fine accuracy and one for practice/plinking. Rimfires -and especially .22's- are very individualistic; what shoots well in my rifle (even of the same make and model) may not shoot well from yours. I recommend that you play with the cheap stuff first and settle on the one that shoots best from your rifle. If your accuracy expectations are met, then you're done! But if you need more accuracy for certain applications, then keep the cheap stuff, but also experiment with some higher dollar "match" or "target" grade stuff in the $6-$10/50 rounds range and find the one that shoots best from your rifle. I recommend starting with CCI "blue box", Winchester T22's, and Wolf MT's or Wolf MT Extra's.

Best of luck and let us know how it shoots!

Rimfire on a budget..

I have a Marlin 917V that I bought several years ago for less than 200. It shoots fantastic! My wife and I have both shot many sub .5 moa 5 shot groups with it. The trigger isn't the best (on my specific gun / model - :( really don't like the trigger ), but is much better than a stock ruger 10/22 ( Hate the stock trigger! ).

Accuracy, I'm not sure it is fair to compare a .22 with a 17hmr. In my experience, cheaper guns in 17hmr tend to outshoot cheaper guns in .22lr (by a large margin). And I like to practice with a gun that is capable of good accuracy. It will show me very quickly if I am doing little improper things while shooting (varying cheek pressure, trigger control, etc..). If I am using an inaccurate rifle, it is more difficult to see the results of my error over the standard variation of the equipment I am using.

The ammo for 17hmr does cost more than cheap .22lr ammo, but I paid around 15$ per 50 (17hmr - not too bad imho) and it shoots great in my gun. Combine that with the cheap cost of the gun, and I get to shoot 1000 rds of near half minute performance (occasional flyer) rimfire plus the cost of the gun for less than $500 total, and still have a good gun at the end of it all!

A lot of people like the CZ 17 and 22, they even have a model with easy switch barrels from 17, 22lr and 22mag. I have looked at them and been tempted!

I've shot several Anschutz (great, but expensive), Winchesters, Remingtons, Rugers and Savages in .22lr. I've seen some great 17's in the Rugers and Savages. I really liked the price of my Marlin, and maybe lucked out with it, but it shoots very well.

If you are like me, you will shoot almost any rifle, but only really like the accurate ones. I have found my Marlin (and maybe I was lucky) to be a fantastic bargain for the accuracy it delivers. I don't know if the new Marlins are as good, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were (at least close).

That being said, it (my Marlin) certainly won't be the last rim-fire I buy. There are lots of good models out there that I am sure you will be happy with.

Happy shopping! I hope you get an accurate shooter!

-Pons

I'd have to go with CZ's...(Not cheap though)

with the correct ammo and some trigger adjusting, they're easy to make into "Tack drivers"

I just picked up a CZ American 455 in 17hmr. I love the fit and finish of this rifle. It feels and handles like a solid centerfire. Good groups, but I hope to improve them even more once I bed the action and put in an inexpensive spring kit for the trigger. Resale on these should hold their value like the older model 452's have done. An additional bonus: these rifles are switch-barrel rifles, so you can add other rimfire calibers later if you desire.

Some of the best prices I found for CZ rifles:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...can&osCsid=e2nof69i9o3fbskhbg7d5bosc7&x=0&y=0

A CZ 452/453/455 in your caliber of choice is a standard to go by. I paid $430 out the door for my CZ 452 .22LR. The action is not only extremely strong and precision made, but the accuracy is like a match rifle. My trigger is better than most centerfire hunting rifles you find on the rack, and it is adjustable.

I find the barrel to be rather tight on my CZ 452, so I am expecting exceptionally long barrel life. I think it is basically impossible to wear out this rifle, even if you shoot a box of ammo through it every day of your life. It was and still is a military basic training rifle in eastern Europe, and the overbuilt action shows that.

I would get the .17 HMR if you want a prairie dog rifle, but the other two calibers would be better for general use.

I will throw in a vote for a CZ 455 also...I have one and it is a literal "tack driver".
you CAN'T go wrong with a CZ. If you get a savage, you will find yourself wanting the CZ.....been there. And they shoot as well as or better than anything else.gun)

The top is my $290, 4 year old, and zillion and a half rounds CZ 452 trainer. The rifle has lived behind the seat of my work truck and had a bore snake ran down the pipe about 5 times ever. It's been flawless, never needs a thing, and shoots anything you feed it like a match gun. The bottom one is a Savage 93r17fv 17HMR with a Richards Microfit NRA Meddalist Stock. The CZ just has a J&P spring set. The Savage has the fancy lookin stock, bedded, floated, trigger tuned, new bottom metal, etc. They both shoot great, but the Savage needs 50+fouling shots everytime it's cleaned, which it needs every 500rounds or so, doesn't feed right unless it's massaged just right, has to have exact action screw torc, shifts POI with the weather, etc... my kids don't need as much attention as it does. Oh yeah, I've got twice the money into the Savage. Buy the CZ, any CZ... it's the caliber that you need to think about. IMG_3440.jpg

IMG_3593.jpg

I was looking for a champagne .22LR on a beer budget a couple of years ago. I went a different route. I bought a used Anschutz 64 rifle from an importer in California. He buys up rifle club guns, checks them out, and resells them. I paid $350 at the time. The rifle has some "character" marks, but is nicely broken in. The trigger is simply excellent, and these rifles are spec'd to shoot 5 shots in 1 cm at 50 meters. That's 5 shots in .4 inches at 54 yards.

You can get a an adapter for a Harris bipod. The rifles have a rail where you can easily mount a scope. The barrels are fully free floating. The only downside is that the rifles are heavy and single shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.