.17HMR/.22mag

jpbaker

Hey folks.

Gotta quick one for you.

looking at purchasing a rimfire for plinking and varmits.

But what to buy. Looking at a savage but cant figure out if i need .17hmr or a .22 mag.

From what I've been reading, the .17hmr seems to be more accurate out of the two, and ballistics are very close with .22 mag winning up to the first 100 yds, and after that the .17 seems to take over a bit.
Energy vs. velocity right:rolleyes:.

Now the question. What is your experience with these 2. Is the .22 more effactive than the .17 past 100 yds.

TKS & Happy shooting!

This topic has been covered so much that you should have an easy time using the search and getting a lot of answers to your question.

All I can say is , I have had all of the rem fires including the 5mm and the 17 HMRs are the most
accurate of all I have owned.

I think the ammo is just better than the rest.

I have converted match grade 22s to 17 cal and the performance was noticeably better.

At 100 yards the 17 HMR will group as good as 22s will at 50 yards.

Weatherby makes a beautiful 17 HMR, But it is a little pricey because it's built on an Anschutz
action.

The Savage 17 HMR with the Laminated thumb hole stock is probably the best buy.

The 17 HMR makes a fine 100 to 150 yard squirrel rifle.

J E CUSTOM

I was a long time 22Mag. hold out. I never thought I would ever own a 17hmr. Then I caved in to see what all the hype was about regarding the 17hmr's and bought a Savage thumbhole stainless in 17.

Jerry is spot on. These little 17's shoot like a lazer. Furthest I've shot anything with mine, so far, is 135yds on a sage rat but I must admit I was very impressed with it's consistent accuracy. In fact my dad was so impressed he bought a Lilja drop in 17 barrel for his 77/22mag. Now his 17 out shoots mine.

I have a CZ 452 American in .22LR, .22WMR, .17HMR, and .17HM2. I have got to try a couple of each of the HMR and WMR and love them both. Like it has been said, the HMR is an absolutely beautiful shooter. It is crazy fast, accurate, and has "Umph" at quite the distance for a rimfire. I love both rounds, but when I am shooting distance varmint (around 150) I go with the HMR. I do enjoy taking the WMR for coons/possums though. It has quite an impact at close ranges! I think if I were to get another rimfire, I would take another HMR though.

IMHO if your going after small varmints (squirrels,rabbits,possums,skunks,crows etc) the 17 HMR has absolutely no peer. EXTREMELY accurate for a rimfire, you can shoot dimes at 100 yards with 17 HMR's. And if your punching paper at 50 yards with one you will most likely quickly get bored shooting at the paper and move on to cutting blades of grass to give yourself a challenge or shooting the smallest twigs off of bushes that you can make out with your scope.

I have hunted with both the 22 mag and the 17hmr and if I thought I might be shooting coyotes or hogs, or anything bigger than a fat old boar coon, I would go with the 22 mag.

The 17 HMR will smoke small varmints with extreme authority and effectiveness and be super accurate. While the 22 mag will give you a bit more lead in the pipe for animals that are a bit more robust. But me personally if the 17 wont kill it I take a centerfire.

I personally got rid of both my 22 magnum and now own 2 17 HMR's. One is a savage and the other is a CZ 452 american. I had a third 17, a plane jane marlin heavy barrel that was my best shooter but sold it bare gun for 350 bucks to an aqaintence just because the gun would reliably pop dimes at 100, I played "dimes for dollars" with that gun, regreted selling it ever since.

Just to add to an earlier post .

I don't want to sound anti 22 Mag just because I prefer the 17.

If I were going to dispatch alligators or hogs at close range I would use the 22 Mag to prevent
or reduce the chance of ricochets Plus the larger bullets produce more energy at close range.

I am not sure why the 17 hmr is more accurate than the 22 Mag, but my guess is the ammo
is just better. The 22 Mag now has the premium bullets, but all of mine liked the standard
Winchester hollow point best.

J E CUSTOM

JPbaker, what are your varmints? Plinking is based on cost, and varmint is based on the size. If you want a squirrel killer out to 125 yards, and want to do it cheaper than the hmr, the hm2 is the cartridge for you. If you want a predator killer, the bigger bullet of the wmr will be better for body shots. If you don't mind the cost, and want to shoot little holes, or small animals far away, the hmr will be for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.