Need Advice... on a lower cost 300 RUM setup

akfalar

I am looking to set up a 300 WBY or 300 RUM for about $1,000

However I have the following items in stock and i would like to know if anyone has ideas on selling them, buying something else, reconfiguring etc

1: Weatherby Vanguard in 300 WBY (Blued, never fired)

2: Model 700 30-06 Stock Blued.

I dropped by the gun shop and saw a nice blackened Remington 700 in 300 RUM. It was $800

I am looking to set up a 300 WBY or 300 RUM for about $1,000

However I have the following items in stock and i would like to know if anyone has ideas on selling them, buying something else, reconfiguring etc

1: Weatherby Vanguard in 300 WBY (Blued, never fired)

2: Model 700 30-06 Stock Blued.

I dropped by the gun shop and saw a nice blackened Remington 700 in 300 RUM. It was $800

Welcome aboard.

If you can't do it with a 300 Weatherby.......it can't be done. Why not start with what you have?

Put that $800 bucks into bases, rings and scope. The proper ones, of course.

To be blunt, color, cosmetics etc though pleasing don't harvest animals.:)

Well Thanks!

That sounds like pretty good advice. SO you think i should build up the Weatherby Vangard?

Sure, why not?

There ain't no free lunches in this world so you may as well make it as inexpensive as possible.

The experience gained will be priceless. Plus you have the opportunity, which most don't take, to get enough glass to be able to spend 'that' money only once. Another rifle, maybe bigger, better and sexier will always fit under it when you wish.

I recall an old Win mod 70 rechambered to 300 Wby taking deer and elk at scary long distances.

We're working with a Vanguard in 300 WBY right now to get it set up for longer shooting and it is a good platform! Setting up your first long range rifle is a major learning process so I would say stick with what you have and use that money for quality components to go on the rifle, that you can swap over to a dedicated long range rig that you can put together once you know what you want and how to use it.

Roy's advice is solid, he's helped a lot of use get going!

Speaking of Glass, I have a Burris Fullfield II 3-9 x 50mm with a BDC.

Stick with that as well?

This rifle started life as a Vanguard in 300 weatherby now its my custom long range hammer in 300 win mag. I like Roys advice to I wish I had asked it when I first started.
guns047.jpg

HA HA just kidding here it is below
Picture059.jpg

How bout a $700 custom build?

Stevens 200 .270 from Academy Sports $229
Mag bold head from midway $20
Single shot folower from midway $15
Sharp Shooter Supply trigger $100
B&C Duramax stock from Stocky's $90
Shillen pre threaded and chambered barrel from The Barrel Man $230
gun)

You could sell the take off barrel and stock for a few bucks.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.