Need advice for reloading 45-70 for Henry Rifle (not LR)

PddPdd

I'm in the process of purchasing a Henry X Boy in 45-70. The barrel twist is 1:20 and about 20" long. I plan to build reloads to deal with worst case a Grizzly encounter and occasionally pick up a grouse for dinner. I've been looking at cast lead bullets and the Hornady FTX.

Some areas I need guidance on:

1. What brand of brass would be recommended? I would be building loads in the mid pressure ranges for this cartridge

2. Are there better bullets than cast lead for dangerous North American game? (.458" diameter)

3. I've been thinking of getting bullets in the 300-400 grain range to maximize energy inside of 200 yards. Thoughts?

4 Are their better sources of reloading data for this cartridge other than the powder manufacturers?

I appreciate any input.

Pdd

1680 is my go to. I have Barnes 250gr tsx. Hardcast or something very tough. I have 0 experience with hammer bullets.

If I was seriously building a load for grizzlies, I would look at either heavy hard cast bullets or the 402 Hammer bullet. I used the 402 Hammer on a bull moose and the bullets sailed on through.
I wouldn't even consider a FTX or a (non-hardened) lead bullet. There is plenty of good brass available, just don't mix brands because they all have different capacities, and it won't help load development. Starline is very good brass if you can get some.

If you only need a load suitable for grizzly DEFENSE, than just buy a few boxes and load more user-friendly loads for everything else. Here's an interesting option that should give you confidence while trapsing through grizzly country.

Starline brass comes available fairly often and is good brass. I've worked up loads using Barnes 300 grain flat point hollow point and the Hornady 325 grain FTX. They both hit to the literal same point of impact. I've had the best luck accuracy wise with Vit N120.
I've shot deer with the Barnes but no experience on game with the FTX. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Barnes on big big game. A friend has shot deer with the FTX and he thinks the FTX is pretty fragile.

Starline brass comes available fairly often and is good brass. I've worked up loads using Barnes 300 grain flat point hollow point and the Hornady 325 grain FTX. They both hit to the literal same point of impact. I've had the best luck accuracy wise with Vit N120.
I've shot deer with the Barnes but no experience on game with the FTX. I wouldn't hesitate to use the Barnes on big big game. A friend has shot deer with the FTX and he thinks the FTX is pretty fragile.

I've shot deer and bears with the 300TSX at 2,000 fps from my Marlin 1895. (pictured in my avatar) The bullet is excellent, and recoil isn't bad at that velocity. I only recovered one, and it was lodged in a 300lb black bear. At the shot, the bear flipped over on his back and couldn't move. The bullet went through his shoulder and lodged in his spine. I shot him again just to avoid any suffering. One petal tore off but the other 3 were expanded and as stiff as you can imagine.

For an all-around bullet, I've recently been using the Hornady 250 MonoFlex copper bullet. It can be shot at 2,330 fps from an 18" bbl and is MUCH flatter shooting then most of my other loads. On a lucky day, it put 3 rounds into an inch at 200yds.
BTW - I would NOT recommend this bullet for large bears.

Last edited:
The ftx on dangerous game wouldn't get the penetration needed (unless you're lucky enough) like hardcast on some mono's will do.