Need 44mag bear load

I like expanding bullets for bears. I have used SWift A-Frame bullets and Nosler Partition bullets at top velocities and had very good results with both.

This year I loaded up some Barnes TSX bullets for the 45-70 and 44mag. I'll let you know how they perform in few weeks.

How do they penetrat on LARGE HEAVY GAME? From my experience the jacketed bullets may be fine on a 200 pound Black, but may not penetrate deep enough on a Large Brown or Grizzly that may wiegh 800 pounds...

Don't forget to file the front sight off...

...I use Hornady XTP 300s in my 44 magnum under a max load of H110.

Thanks for all the replies. They will get me started off in the right direction. I fully know that the 44 is not THE sidearm for bear defense, but thats what I have. In my own opinion, I would rather trust my life to my 44 with the right bullets than to an aerosal spray. And it's not that I don't know about the power of the bear spray, I just still can't trust it. I think the spray should be used after you shoot the bear. Anyhow, thanks again for all the info. I'll keep working on the wife for a bigger pistol.

I dought that Bear Spray would be very effective on the bear in a heavy side or head wind...I'll leave the condiments for the dinner table

So, my dad drew his 4th Wyoming moose tag this year. And of course it is in the heart of grizzly country. I was hoping some of you might have a good bullet/load that might have a better chance of shutting down a p.o.ed bear. I tried talking the wife into getting me a 460. After she got done laughing at me she said no. So, anyone that has a good bear load, thanks for the help!! Pistol is a Smithers 629, 8 3/8"

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. They will get me started off in the right direction. I fully know that the 44 is not THE sidearm for bear defense, but thats what I have. In my own opinion, I would rather trust my life to my 44 with the right bullets than to an aerosal spray. And it's not that I don't know about the power of the bear spray, I just still can't trust it. I think the spray should be used after you shoot the bear. Anyhow, thanks again for all the info. I'll keep working on the wife for a bigger pistol.
Actually in Alaska for Bear Protection the Glock 20 is very popular with 200/220 Hardcast bullets and most use Underwood or Buffalo Bore. I still have my Ruger Redhawk 4" 44 Mag but for the last 15 years I carry my G20 most of the time on Alaska Trails. But if a 44 Mag is what you have it will kil any bear on earth with the right load. Peterson killed a Polar Bear with a 6" SW in Alaska with a Norma 240gr FN. And Bill Ruger went to Africa and harvested many African game with a Ruger Carbine in 44 Mag. Here in Alaska the 44 Mag revolver trail pistol is still used and an excellent choice for Bear Protection. I know several people experimented with the 454 but quickly returned back to the 44 Mag as their sidearm of choice in Alaska trails. Normally long barrel pistols are not carried for Bear Defense with 6" being the longest recommended. Often shooting is done at extremely close range and a 4" is very maneuverable and easy to carry on the trail.

Last edited: