Necking 26 nosler to 28 - Question

magedon44

Im having a 28 nosler built. I am in the process of buying brass, bullets and dies.

As for the brass, what ive found is that the 28 Nosler brass is a little more expensive than the 26 nosler brass. Have any of you bought the 26 nosler brass and simply necked it up to 28? I figured doing this i could save a few bucks on brass. Im Wondering if any of you ran into any issues doing so or if you saw a difference in accuracy btwn standard 28 brass mixed in with necked up 26 brass. I have 25 of the standard 28 brass and want to make sure there will be no difference btwn the two if i buy some 26 and neck it up and mix it in the bunch.

Thanks for your help,
Mike

I had a 28 nosler built too, still at smiths, but my smith found different neck thickness in the 26 vs. 28 brass and has different reamers depending on what the customer will be using. So, you might want to talk to our smith and see what they have to say. That's what I'd do at least.

Im having a 28 nosler built. I am in the process of buying brass, bullets and dies.

As for the brass, what ive found is that the 28 Nosler brass is a little more expensive than the 26 nosler brass. Have any of you bought the 26 nosler brass and simply necked it up to 28? I figured doing this i could save a few bucks on brass. Im Wondering if any of you ran into any issues doing so or if you saw a difference in accuracy btwn standard 28 brass mixed in with necked up 26 brass. I have 25 of the standard 28 brass and want to make sure there will be no difference btwn the two if i buy some 26 and neck it up and mix it in the bunch.

Thanks for your help,
Mike

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...ie-sku749011715-38807-74483.aspx?sku="05-3000"

The 26 nosler should be a little thinner in the neck after it has been necked up. If you take a 26 case and expand it to 28 you are not moving a ton of brass so I see no problems using the 26 nosler brass. I'm gathering parts for a 28 as well and I have bought a bunch of 26 brass to use. Right now midway is having a sale on 26 nosler brass.
Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 26 Nosler Box of 25
Better hurry if you want some says only 5 boxes left at $39.29 per 25

Thanks for your help,
Mike
Simple answer is yes you can neck 26N up to 28N quite easily. I recommend using a 277, then 284 expanders.

I have necked all the way up to 338 and fired the brass. Yes, the neck thins a little. I neck turn to .0145 and it's fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts