Neck Turning with RCBS Trim Pro Power - why not?

If you're gonna turn necks you may as well do a 100% clean up. You're going through all the same motions. A little more into the shoulder wouldn't hurt.

Having more neck clearance isn't going to hurt accuracy.....having too little is no bueno.

I generally strive for .004-.008 neck clearance depending on intended use for said rifle.

I turned some 7rm brass once and the neck thickness was 0.011, and I found that out when I was loading them. Neck would not grip the bullet after seating. If I had bushing dies I could shrink the necks a little tighter and then expand but I don't have that. So I don't turn down past 0.013 anymore. That brass was prvi partisan and started a little thin before turning. I don't cut into the base of neck since the inside reamer takes care of the donut. Glad that is working for you.

If you're gonna turn necks you may as well do a 100% clean up. You're going through all the same motions. A little more into the shoulder wouldn't hurt.

Having more neck clearance isn't going to hurt accuracy.....having too little is no bueno.

I generally strive for .004-.008 neck clearance depending on intended use for said rifle.
This is wrong according to the testing I have done. Quiet Texan is all over it though.

I may get flamed but I'm gonna throw this out there. If you don't want to turn the necks, try a Lee factory crimp tool. Test in 1/8 turn increments to 1/2 turn. Won't help with runout but will help develop consistent start pressure. One of the big advantages of turned necks in a factory chamber. The good news is they are dirt cheap.

I think your idea is a pretty good one.
I do something similarly with the goal in mind to only even up the neck wall thickness. Like some have said, you'd be surprised how much on side of the neck can be thicker that the other, and it does help accuracy when removing high points.

I used a Forster Neck turning tool and ground the inside diameter of it larger to slip over a Lee Case trimmer. That way I could Neck turn and trim to length all in one step. The Lee trim tool fits slightly loose enough for me to enter the cartridge neck and trim to length, and then by holding it to one side steady on the retracting pull, make the tool cut on the way out. the cartridge itself is held in a drill chuck via a Lee trim tool holder.

I set the turning tool to just skim off the high point on the case neck, and also located it on the Lee trim length tool so it would be just shy of the cartridge angle in this example. I have since made further adjustment to be touching the angle. I have this set-up for each of the chambering I neck turn so I don't have to re set-up the tool for different ones..

I used red Dykem to mark up a 7mm-08 case in this video to highlight the skim cut. (I was not allowed to load and .mp4 file)

Attachments

• DSCN2343.JPG
    DSCN2343.JPG
    344.1 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN2347.JPG
    DSCN2347.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 41
If you're gonna turn necks you may as well do a 100% clean up.
@Mikecr makes really good points about sizing control during loading and he turns his neck, so I won't argue against turning 100% because it might be more beneficial in some cases than just partial skim turning.

I don't do 100% mainly because I haven't seen a huge benefit to turning in my chambers and I'm not sure going thinner for consistency is smart based on how much my cases expand already. Varies by chamber though.

I turn for a tight neck chamber targeting a loaded OD and clearance spec that was set up based on turning to just under 0.015" thickness - not full clean up on Lapua brass, but looking at my Peterson brass those will probably be 100% cut.

Last edited:
Agree with Orange Dust-/ Quiet-Texan only cut the high spots NOT CRAZY ABOUT DOING THE NECKS - bad brass is bad brass and not too much one can do with it. Do you sort your brass ?? weight, neck's etc etc and keep them all in batches. When I get brass I'll get , if a hunting gun will get 2-300 all the same time and batch the same as a LRP but get 5-600 or more . Benchrest shooters only use the same pieces over and over and never let anyone play with it...sacred pile of maybe 50 pcs. Get GOOD brass-less problems.

Last edited: