neck turning question

sscoyote

I just started neck turning with a cordless screwdriver. Is there a way to eliminate the wobble in these less than perfect machines??

ssCoyote

I use the B&D 3.6v power screwdrivers with the sinclair case holders and zero wobble since I switched to them.

Assume you are resizing case and then expanding necks first with the matching neck expanding mandrel that goes with that specific mftr neck turner. If not that is first problem.

Lube inside of necks and outside, FP-10, imperial size die, auto assembly lub are good choices and Sinclair sells all 3.

Do not try and take all off on one cut. Take down to leave about .001 for final cut after having done all down to that point.

You can kind of force the cutter on pass down and it will leave ridges on neck, slowly back turner back up the neck and should be smooth with zero ridges.

Finally, cutter should be sharp, if not it will wobble and drag so replace.

What kind of turner are you using?

BH

I notice the same thing with my K&M,..but I figured that the K$M shell holder/case holder just grabs them a little off center. I also assumed it was some of the run-out in the case that you are seeing.

I then assumed that if you have run the expander mandrel into the case,..that if it appears to wobble,..as does the whole neck turner fixture,..that it must still be concentric.

Am I wrong Bounty Hunter?

Good question sscoyote!!

I am using the K & M turners also. No wobble or chattering on the necks since I went to the sinclair caseholder and power driver several years ago.

If you have runout in the case, you will see that but not in the neck area or chattering if everything else is right.

BH

BH, i've got your same setup-- K+M, Sin. Shell holder, preliminary case turning prep, but i'm using a cheaper drill-- i'll see if i can find a better one. THKS. MUCHO!

SSCoyote

do not know how you could have cheaper power screwdriver? Only paid $19.95 at Home Depot for mine!
smile.gif

BH

SS-

I've got the K&M and use their caseholder in my B&D cordless screwdriver. I've found with my set-up, if I remove the caseholder from the screwdriver and rotate it and drop it back in the screwdriver around its various six sides, I can reduce the wobble quite a bit. I just load a case into the shellholder and keep rotating the caseholder to each of the six different "sides" in the screwdriver (hitting the power button in between each time and watching the brass wobble, less hopefully). I only do this once, not for each piece of brass.

I hope the above made some sense.

-Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.