neck/throat tolerance question

eshorebwhntr

I've got a 7stw that was custom built by gtr. He requests a dummy round when building the gun. I was a novice to long range shooting and reloading at the time and loaded my dummy round with Remington brass. This yielded a case with a .313 neck and that was what my throat was cut to.

Since that time stw brass has been hard to find so I went about fire forming some from norma 300 h&h brass. I've used a .310 neck bushing when I resized before but noticed today when I was reloading the fire formed brass that I had almost no neck tension because the Norma brass is thinner walled than the Remington.

Based on what I've measured the new wall thickness is .010, x2 is .020, +.284 is .304.

So my question is will having a separation of .009-.010 between the neck/throat hurt or effect anything from what I've been use to with the very tight fit?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I emailed Greg. He said that extra throat gap with the new Norma brass may cause accuracy to fall off.

Hopefully I'll get to test soon and report results. I have 15 new Remington brass to compare against.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.