Neck Tension Lapua 300prc

LocalJW

Looking to start doing neck tension on my Lapua brass.

I am looking into the 21st century Mandrels but do not know what size to get? Any input would be nice.

I will do full-length sizing with redding s type die. Just trying to decide what should i neck tension to. I do not plan on shooting groups for neck tensioning. Just want consistent tension.

Buy a .3065 and a .3070. That will give you options for .0015 and .002 neck tension. I like .002 for my hunting rounds.

I just start with the .3065 mandrel. That gives .002 NT after spring back. Usually a load with shoot still shoot really well with that NT. You can lighten the NT up with the .3070 mandrel if you think it's taking too much force to seat a bullet or if your groups aren't what you think they should be.

Correct. I use Redding dry neck case lube
I guess I am trying to figure out do I need to buy the 3 Type s set from Redding or can I get away with just a FL size and bullet seater? I have never used mandrals but they do the same as a neck bushing right?

Assuming you are using FL seating dies through redding? Do you use the neck bushing die also?
I guess I am trying to figure out do I need to buy the 3 Type s set from Redding or can I get away with just a FL size and bullet seater? I have never used mandrals but they do the same as a neck bushing right?

Redding Type S sizing die. You buy a bushing that is .004-.005 smaller than your case neck with a loaded bullet. So when you size, the bushing will squeeze the case neck back down below bullet diameter, and then if you leave the actual mandrel attached (that comes with it), the mandrel will open up the case neck to .0015 NT when it comes back through the case neck.

I remove that internal mandrel on the Type S dies and just let the bushing squeeze the neck back down. Then as a separate step I use the 21st century expander mandrels to expand the necks back out to my desired NT.

You may have to watch to some youtube videos if my explanation is too fuzzy lol

Correct me if I am wrong but a mandrel is actually expanding the neck tension correct? Increasing it from inward to outward pressure.

A bushing die is actually causing pressure from outward to inward correct?

Redding Type S sizing die. You buy a bushing that is .004-.005 smaller than your case neck with a loaded bullet. So when you size, the bushing will squeeze the case neck back down below bullet diameter, and then if you leave the actual mandrel attached (that comes with it), the mandrel will open up the case neck to .0015 NT when it comes back through the case neck.

I remove that internal mandrel on the Type S dies and just let the bushing squeeze the neck back down. Then as a separate step I use the 21st century expander mandrels to expand the necks back out to my desired NT.

You may have to watch to some youtube videos if my explanation is too fuzzy lol
I think I get it. So run an FL sizing die. That will size your case body and shoulder bump. Then use the bushing die to bring in the actual neck below size with a seated bullet. Then as a final step, run a mandral through it and that will make a final consistent NT by expanding the neck.

So I need to seat a bullet (Berger 205 30cal.) into my virgin lapua brass and then measure what the case neck is. Then find a bushing die .004-.005 below that?

Correct me if I am wrong but a mandrel is actually expanding the neck tension correct? Increasing it from inward to outward pressure.

A bushing die is actually causing pressure from outward to inward correct?

You are correct. If works with both Type S, and FL sizing dies without bushing. I use Redding FL sizer without the expander, and then use the 21 century mandrel. I use the .3060 and that had work great for me. I use dry neck lube x the mandrel.