Neck tension and max bullet grip force

So my Multi-variable Calculus class was the waste of time that I thought it was? Yea! Hated it!

Big factor in crimping will be case length variance. Even a tiny difference in length will have a large effect. Next will be needing a positive stop of some type. Though other may differ, I don't think that "cam-over" is consistent enough. In various operations that I've set up to 'cam-over' in the past I could feel a difference from one case to the next.

Used to be that Weatherby sourced his brass from Norma. I assume that this is still the case? If so, finding quality brass isn't the problem. Finding brass at all is the problem.

I've long wondered about sourcing or making cases with a deliberately slightly thick neck, just so they could be turned to the nominal size (to fit & function a std. SAMMI chamber) and not be an interrupted cut. An interrupted cut would mean non-uniform thin spots in the neck.
I've personally had great results with camming over, IMO there comes a point where you reach a point of diminishing returns, it's easy to get lost and forget we are hunting with these rounds

Perhaps I should have phrased that better. I don't like camming-over for applying a taper crimp. My limited experience with those has been that they are very sensitive and I don't have faith that setting it up to cam-over is consistent enough.
Cam-over is more than fine for a straight case roll crimp.

Perhaps I should have phrased that better. I don't like camming-over for applying a taper crimp. My limited experience with those has been that they are very sensitive and I don't have faith that setting it up to cam-over is consistent enough.
Cam-over is more than fine for a straight case roll crimp.
I should have been more clear myself as I use the Lee FCD exclusively but I use it as a tuning tool

No familiarity with the Lee FCD tool. I'll have to look it up when I get to a machine that isn't on work's anti 2A biased network.....

[HIJACK] I used to have a not so great opinion of Lee products, but I first bought one of their Universal de-cap dies and am impressed with it enough to try one of their collet neck sizers. Am impressed with that too. [/HIJACK]

No familiarity with the Lee FCD tool. I'll have to look it up when I get to a machine that isn't on work's anti 2A biased network.....

[HIJACK] I used to have a not so great opinion of Lee products, but I first bought one of their Universal de-cap dies and am impressed with it enough to try one of their collet neck sizers. Am impressed with that too. [/HIJACK]
People often confuse Lee products as being "cheap" instead of inexpensive, I have have lot's of E'm, there is a whole thread on how I use the LEE FCD as a tuning tool if your interested in it and it falls in conjunction with this thread some what

I'd agree that Lee makes a lot of stuff that feels cheap, but I think that's because it's generally pretty light weight and isn't packaged all fancy. Hard to explain to someone who's ticked about the cap popping off their collet die that it's a design feature telling them that they're doing it wrong, not a flaw or crappy metal.

Universal decapper and a Lee hand press has done a lot of work for me, it's faster and easier than using a full size press just to pop out primers. Lots of crimped military brass got processed that way.

I'd agree that Lee makes a lot of stuff that feels cheap, but I think that's because it's generally pretty light weight and isn't packaged all fancy. Hard to explain to someone who's ticked about the cap popping off their collet die that it's a design feature telling them that they're doing it wrong, not a flaw or crappy metal.

Universal decapper and a Lee hand press has done a lot of work for me, it's faster and easier than using a full size press just to pop out primers.
ShoNuff

I use the cam over to set the shoulder back .002 but not for crimping as like others have said you can't feel how much crimp you are applying.
I my opinion too much crimp changes the bullet at crimp point and messes with it's flight.
ButterBean and QuiteTexan has schooled me on proper use of the FCD.

Bob Wright used the word "variables" and ntsqd used the word "consistent",two important words for reloaders.
I have a system that I don't deviate from and if I'm in a hurry I wait.
The problems I have are super small.I shoot my 300 weatherby mag very well and my group size shows how much work I put in to reload.
I have been reloading since 1967 and shot competition handgun matches in the late 60's- 70's so I'm no rookie but you folks gives me Ideas to do better like using bushing dies and mandrels and my groups have been reduced thanks to all of you.
Everyone knows something others may not know and being older I am on a quest to shoot 1000 yards and the years are running out.
Everyday I see people younger than me die so feel free to share your knowledge folks.
Thank you to all
Old Rooster

Bob Wright used the word "variables" and ntsqd used the word "consistent",two important words for reloaders.
I have a system that I don't deviate from and if I'm in a hurry I wait.
The problems I have are super small.I shoot my 300 weatherby mag very well and my group size shows how much work I put in to reload.
I have been reloading since 1967 and shot competition handgun matches in the late 60's- 70's so I'm no rookie but you folks gives me Ideas to do better like using bushing dies and mandrels and my groups have been reduced thanks to all of you.
Everyone knows something others may not know and being older I am on a quest to shoot 1000 yards and the years are running out.
Everyday I see people younger than me die so feel free to share your knowledge folks.
Thank you to all
Old Rooster
Let me know when you hit that gong at a K

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.