NC flatlander heading to CO, need advice!!

Freshta

I am from NC and I'm heading to CO again this year. Last year I was in good shape and the area I hunted kicked my butt like nothing since back in my military days. This year due to business obligations and a long term emergency with my son that has taken my time and my motivation to train, I'm not even close to last year's fitness level. I'm training hard now, but playing catch up just don't cut it. I advertised on here for a partner and got two hits, but other obligations or health issues took them out of the game.

Anyway, enough with my sob story. I have the spot I hunted last year all scouted out, but I'm looking for an OTC Archery GMU that is a little bit 'easier' to hunt. I know this is a relative term and easy for one person is hard for another, but I live at 720' and 11,000' was just too much to deal with. I had headaches for 3 days and never really felt 'good' the rest of the time. I'm not asking anyone for GPS coord's or anything, maybe just a PM with a direction to head. I would never intrude on another person's hard earned honey hole.

Thanks for any help/advice

Tony

Start out slow when you get there. Give your body some time to get used to the altitude before you go hard. I think if you take off hard right away it is hard to get over it.

Steve

Like Steve suggested, try to plan some time to allow your body to get use to it. Spend some time around 4-5k feet then go higher where you plan on hunting. Take it easy on yourself.

As for location, have you spent some time with the CPW hunting atlas? It has some good information where the animals tend to hang out and move between summer and winter.
Colorado Parks and Wildlife Atlas

Thanks for the heads up fellas. I spent a day in Denver and then a day at the trailhead around 8,500'.
Probably needed a little more time.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.