My two DIY projects, build # one brass case annealer

aushunter1

Hi guys, been here for a while & actually don't think I have ever started a thread.

Anyway I have been active more on the reloading side as it is what I enjoy in he sport, apart from actually pulling the trigger that is šŸ˜ .

I did two builds a while ago(around 4 or 5 years ago now) & thought I would share them with you.

One is an annealer & the other is a SS pin tumbler which I will start another thread as there is to much info/pictures.

My background is I am a chef by trade here in Aus but I love to challenge myself & use the brain & hands I was given to do things apart from food.

So firstly I did the annealer, I have linked it in a post before but thought I would go into more detail.

After doing a fair bit of research(which is half the fun) & looking at many other DIY's I came up with this.
Basically it is a 1st aid box, 2x 12V motors with speed controllers & digital display, 240v to 12v power transformer, 9 inch cake tin, bernzomatic LPG gas bottle, braided hose & manual nozzle, various brackets, alloy tubing & connectors/couplers.

1st aid box

1st aid box2.jpg

So I started of with a mock up for the design.

20151218_102848.jpg

Once I had that worked out went to work on the install of all the external & internal parts

Internals.jpg

I needed a hopper, so I turned the 2 internal metal shelves into the hopper with Perspex sides so I could see how many cases I had left.

case hopper.jpg

The end product in action.
Basically I use 750F templaq to set the wheel speed timer to the flame intensity then adjust the feeder wheel.

The whole build cost me about $200 which I think is pretty cheap for an annealer!

But it was a bit of fun to build & serves a great purpose prolonging the life of expensive brass *& helping with accuracy as well with nice consistent neck tension when used with other reloading practices.

Annealing colour.jpg

Note: The cake tin in the mock up wasn't good enough so I ended up getting 2 good quality anodized solid tins from a cake goods supplier.

I have one set up for long/magnum cases & another for .223 to .308 case lenght.
In the video they are 270W cases.

Last edited:
I built one similar, but not any where near as Hi Tech as yours but it also does a good job.

If i can get a video of it running and post it I will.

You will enjoy using it and reap the benefits in brass life.

Again, nice job šŸ‘ šŸ‘ šŸ‘

J E CUSTOM

Great job, I enjoyed building mine as well. The only thing I did different was making my case/box from MDF and using an induction proximity sensor to run the feed wheel, eliminating the need for the second speed controller. I have several different depths of cake pans depending on the caliber that I'm running, and two feed wheels with different size notches to feed cases ranging from .223/.300BLK to magnums. It works great!

Attachments

• annealer.jpg
    annealer.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 839
I built one too, mine is mdf box and pretty rudimentary cake pan and plastic feed wheel--but it works--I have less than $100 into mine --rimmed cases are a challenge

Last edited:
It's nice to see all of the different types of homemade Annealer's . And it sure looks like they are producing great results. (What really counts). Lets see some more types and designs.

It just goes to show what a little effort and engineering can do.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.