My Spring and Summer Passion

Mark37082

I realize this is LRH forum, but I'm excited about paddling a few small rivers now that spring is here. Spring turkey season is less than two weeks from now, but everything kind of goes on hold this time of year. I bought a fishing kayak a couple of years ago and now I'm completely hooked. I picked up another kayak this morning and can't wait to take it out tomorrow. If you love spending time in the great outdoors and either drift along with the current or get some upper body exercise, try kayak fishing on small rivers off the beaten path. Ultralight tackle and trout or small mouths are so much fun.
IMG_1120.jpeg
IMG_5470.jpeg

hard to beat a nice float on the river. the Tar River flows through my buddies farm and we put in at his landing and depending on the current, either paddle up stream 1-2 miles then float back down, or set a truck 6-12 miles down stream and spend half a day floating and fishing down to the truck. Turkey season starts here Saturday, and that is my "golden day", but will miss the opener for the first time in over 2 decades as taking my daughter to open house at her med school Saturday. Family first.

Yep, working on a "freebie" 12' aluminum. What a bunch of work. But it's for trout so it will go to southern Utah and back to the Rim lakes in Arizona for the rest of the year.
Free is not free! Trailer and boat hasn't been in the water for 30 years and everything has to be re-done. Still banging away on it.

Attachments

• 20240319_155209.jpg
    20240319_155209.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20240128_152833.jpg
    20240128_152833.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 20
As with everything as I grow older, weight plays a big part in my decisions today. Launching and retrieving boats is the biggest challenge in small rivers. Access to those out of the way fishing holes is the main reason I started kayak fishing. Skinny water in places and fast water in others really is best handled by kayaks IMO. I've been boating and fishing since I was a kid. The only boat I truly regret selling was a 16' Bass Tracker with a 35 HP Merc. All the boats I owned over the years were awesome given their purpose, but now simplicity and tranquility drive most of my decisions.