My rifle - why is it treating me this way?

is the stock an original sendero stock ?? are you shooting targets , or deer, elk?? i would try 123 , 136 and 139 scenars, 130 norma match hpbt.

Thanks for all the responses.

I purchased a synthetic Bell & Carlson stock for this rifle and had it bedded. The action bolts are torqued to 43 in/lbs. I don't move the rifle from the sandbags between shots and most times, I do not even remove my cheek from the stock between shots - I look pretty dumb sitting there with my cheek on the comb for 2 - 3 minutes between shots. :) I sure don't know everything but I've never seen a rifle act this way. Typically when a barrel heats up the impacts rise. This one they drop!

About the only thing left I would know to try is allow more time between shots to let the barrel cool more. The fact that you put a first and second shot close before it shifts is opposite of what happened to me. My first two shots were off and then it would be on until I shifted the rifle position again. I know how frustrating it can be so I wish you luck. If you find the culprit let us know what it was.

Have you tried a different scope? Hopefully you havent troubshot for 400 rounds with the same scope. A scope is a precision mechanical device that is prone to failure...any and all brands have scope failures. Change it out and see what happens. Shifting zero, shifting parallax, these things can and will create groups like that.

Well...I do have another MK 4 I could put on it. I've had Loopys crap out on me before so it's not out of the realm of possibility. I'll give it a shot, so to speak, and see what happens next. Will let you guys know.

It could be the scope but probably not or there wouldn't be consistency in your group patterns. I have seen this once before, and it was a barrel shoulder issue(not your problem but similar symptoms). My advice is to not baby it, but heat the hell out of it to see if it gets progressively worse. 10 rounds or so as fast as you can accurately hold MOA or better and see if it strings farther down or goes all over. It may stabilize after a certain temp or you might eventually get a internal burr smoothed up and fix itself by fire lapping. If it is a bad barrel then there is only one fix unfortunately, but you really have nothing to loose and it will take more than a few 10 shot strings to burn up a barrel.

While others are hard at it in troubleshooting the equipment, sometimes our shooting fundamentals' (in/)consistency is just as hard to troubleshoot. I'm not saying the OP is inconsistent but just throwing in the human factor(s) involved for consideration. Sometimes we, I included, overlook the nut behind the trigger. :):Dgun)

Untitled_zps7d478fa5.jpg

Cheers!

It sounds like a heavy rig. You don't mention your scope mounts. I'd bed a Seekins or Nightforce rail to the action and screw some Seekins rings on it. And swap scopes while I was at it. Scopes have cost me a lot of rounds down barrels, not so much anymore.

If this a cold bore giving you these problems, after you have checked everything everyone else suggested I would shoot two of your SMK rounds one day and come back another day and shoot two more at the same target. The SMK load is doing what I have seen a few factory barrels do on a cold bore. If that is not the case I would do a ladder test and go from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.