My new build finally started.

BriKW

I'm having a custom built that has been in the planning stages for well over a year. After carefully selecting a competent smith, and contacting multiple referrals, I chose Eddie Fosnaugh of Fosnaugh Custom Rifles to complete my build. I put a lot of thought into this rifle, and due to the problems I'm having with my shoulders, I decided a Magnum caliber was not going to be chosen for this build. Because of my love for the 7mm and my long desire to have a rifle chambered for the 280 Ackley IMP, thats the caliber I decided to go with.

Details of my build

New Remington 700 LA SS Receiver single point trued

Krieger 7mm M24 contour 4 groove 1:9 twist barrel blank.

Eddies Over size Bolt knob installed.

Side bolt release installed

Eddies precision ground Over size recoil lug

Timney trigger set to 2 pounds

Willams bottom metal

Manners T3 stock

Nightforce 20 MOA rails bedded to receiver

Nightforce 34mm scope rings

Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 mm scope

Hariss 6-9 inch Bipod

All metal cerkoted Graphite Black

Pillar Bedded to the Manners stock

Stock Cerkoted 3 color GAP O.D. Green base color with Coyote Tan, and Black.

Eddie contacted me thursday to inform me that all metal work is complete and he should be starting on fitting the stock real soon. He was kind enough to send pictures of the progress so far.

Can't wait to get started on load development.

Attachments

• 10297.jpg
    10297.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 10308.jpeg
    10308.jpeg
    96.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 10307.jpeg
    10307.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 10304.jpg
    10304.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 10302.jpg
    10302.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 10301.jpg
    10301.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 132
Looks good, well thought out, and a great cartridge choice. I've always thought Remington really came up with a "better" cartridge to compete with the obvious; 280 v. 270 and 6mm v. 243. However, they began against it so to speak and didn't follow up.

I digress, good luck with your new baby!

I don't see a muzzle break in your parts list. Something to consider if you have bad shoulders. For a light recoil rifle I wouldn't of gone 280AI. Mine kicks pretty good with 168 Bergers and H4831SC.

I don't see a muzzle break in your parts list. Something to consider if you have bad shoulders. For a light recoil rifle I wouldn't of gone 280AI. Mine kicks pretty good with 168 Bergers and H4831SC.

Considering the finish weight of the rifle, I would imagine the recoil would be more comfortable than the 300 Win. I'm not a muzzle brake fan. I dont care for the decibel level one has to endure while using one. The trade off isn't worth it to me.

I've shot the 280 Ackley IMP before, I think we'll become good friends.

Yeah weight will be your friend. Sounds like a nice gun you will enjoy it. As far as light recoil goes, I am really enjoying my R Bros 6.5X47. Almost no recoil with 130 Bergers at 3000 fps. Heavy gun at 15.5 lbs with a 8-32X56 NF and a 4 port brake. For recoil sensitive shoots I couldn't recommend this set up more.

Yeah weight will be your friend. Sounds like a nice gun you will enjoy it. As far as light recoil goes, I am really enjoying my R Bros 6.5X47. Almost no recoil with 130 Bergers at 3000 fps. Heavy gun at 15.5 lbs with a 8-32X56 NF and a 4 port brake. For recoil sensitive shoots I couldn't recommend this set up more.

I currently have a short action with no place to go. My next build will probably be 6.5x47. Right now it's a 6mmBR with the only drawback being itsa 1:10 twist. I thought about switching it out to a 1:8 twist. I bought it off a friend hard up for money. Shoots the Lapua 90gn like a dream, but i cant shoot anything heavier.

Thought of making it a 6.5x47.

The Creedmore and 260 guys seem to knock the 6.5X47, not sure why. I just finished building another X47 carry gun. Will finish at 8 lbs complete with a 5-25X52 Z5 BT. Just waiting to get my stock back from Hydro Dipping. Went with the new KUIU VERDE 2.0. I am amazed every time I shoot my 6.5X47. That is a lot of performance out of a small case!

Very nice build Birk! Can you tell me how long you think your turn around time with Eddie will be when it's done? Speaking mainly of build time after you got your parts together.

I'm asking because I'm thinking of doing build spec'd almost identical to yours in .280 AI also.

Very nice build Birk! Can you tell me how long you think your turn around time with Eddie will be when it's done? Speaking mainly of build time after you got your parts together.

I'm asking because I'm thinking of doing build spec'd almost identical to yours in .280 AI also.

I sent Eddie my component's Oct/5/2016 .. probably looking at a week or two before he ships it. I dont know. One thing I've learned through the years when having a custom built, It's done when its done.

I told Eddie up front, I would rather it be done right than done fast.

Eddie was also up front with me on his work load and I understood I would have to wait my turn. He made it clear he wouldn't put me in queue untill he recieved my parts.

I sent Eddie my component's Oct/5/2016 .. probably looking at a week or two before he ships it. I dont know. One thing I've learned through the years when having a custom built, It's done when its done.

I told Eddie up front, I would rather it be done right than done fast.

Eddie was also up front with me on his work load and I understood I would have to wait my turn. He made it clear he wouldn't put me in queue untill he recieved my parts.

Thanks for the feedback! Looking forward to you posting pics of it when it's done.

I just received a call from Eddie, and after test firing tomorow, my rifle will be shipped. I should receive it some time next week.

Guessing based on information eddie gave me, final weight with scope should be a touch over 15 pounds. Should ride the bags at the range very well.

Looks like my baby is coming home.

Eddie sent me another batch of pictures of some of the stock work and coating. Should be doing final assembly and test fire. Ships today.

He said he would send me another picture after he gets it all together.
My wait is nearly over.

Attachments

• 10534.jpg
    10534.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 10539.jpg
    10539.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 10541.jpeg
    10541.jpeg
    232.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 20170309_163918.jpg
    20170309_163918.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 138
  • 10536.jpg
    10536.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 129
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.