My hunt with the Powder River Predator boys

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I'll write more about my trip later this winter but here is a coyote I shot on my hunt with Jesse, Wes and Hazer.

coyote-12-17-08.jpg

This turned out to be a spot-and-stalk situation. We came around a curve to see 3 coyotes in the road. We stopped the truck and watched them slowly move up over the nearest hill a couple hundred yards away. As soon as they crested the hill out of sight, we got out and walked up the hill, expecting to have to call them back into our area. This was in a methane gas working area and may explain why they didn't bolt.

As we carefully peeked over the hill, we saw them on top of the next hill. Hazer ranged them at 325 yards and prepared to film Jesse and me. We were hoping for a double. Jesse shot just after my shot. His target moved as my rifle barked and only mine fell. What a beautiful scene this was!

These three guys are the real deal and very nice people to boot. I really enjoyed myself.

It was minus 15 degrees the first day and the second morning offered 15 MPH plus winds. The second afternoon we changed locations and had perfect conditions.

Beautiful Coyote there! Those guys are the kings of Coyotes! I love their video, looking forward to the next one. I'll be watching for you, Len.

Jim, yes it was. And now I am watching the wind forecast in Belt, MT for a hunt with Big Sky right after Christmas.

And then with you in January right here in WI.

Len,

I am glad you have been having some success. I have been chasing coyotes in our wonderful state of WI for almost a week and a half and I have not got one yet. This is a tough state (for me at least). Those coyotes are driving me nuts.

Keep up the good hunting.

rtv - an experienced coyote hunter who goes all over the country said WI is one of the 2 toughest states to call coyotes in.

Steve - this was a 7 Dakota rifle, NXS scope. These guys gave up on selling hides because of the low prices for all the time involved.

I agree, WI is a tough state to call. The best way to increase your odds; hunt early fall when young of the year set out on there own, (October) Avoid Nov and Dec, 300,000 gut piles for them to eat. Food gets thin in Jan and mating season starts in Feb, good times to try. I have had my most success calling during full moon nights, then first or last light in most weather, or cloudy calm days right before severe weather moves in.

Len, looking forward to the hunt.

Holland Radial Brake Really Works

By the way, it was pretty neat to be able to see my coyote flip over at impact. I couldn't have done it without Darrell's radial muzzle brake.

Holland Brakes

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.