My first elk...5X5 @ 575 yds...6.5-284...w/Pics

Nice job.... That was a great story, and is a perfect size bull to fill the freezer....
The antlers get tossed on the wall not in the frying pan..
Jesterg

SBruce, thanks for that story and pics! Hey, mind sharing details about the rifle and load? I have some test loads ready for my 6.5-284 and 140 Berger hunting VLD.

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Derek M,

The Rifle is one of the "Long Range Rifles" that Len sells here on this site. It's got a 1/2" @ 100 guarantee. Brux #4 with 8.5 twist, Finished at 26" -- Stiller Predator action, Jewel Trigger that I set at 12 oz. Mcmillan HTG stock (used to be called the M40A1 I believe) For a Long Ranger, It's relatively lightweight, 8.5lbs before optics and bipod. Huskemaw 5-20 Blue Diamond scope, chosen for the weight and size. I could've put a Nightforce on it but it's a walking weight gun so I decided not to.

Using H4831SC, tried charges from 52 up to 56 grns and didn't see pressure but PoI began shifting once I got over 55 grns. Final load is set at 54.5 grns and average velocity over 3 chronograph sessions is 3015'/sec with the 140 Berger Hunting VLD seated .010 off the lands. Using a Federal Match primer.
Worst groups I got during testing were 3/4" at 100. If I do my part it will shoot sub 1/2 MOA.......... Quite often, the first two shots cold bore at 100 would touch or overlap each other.

Here's some groups from last years load testing and drop verification, 1 @ 100yds and 1 @ 700 yds. This season I didn't shoot any groups, just a little practice on steel. For a "walking weight" rifle I have no complaints at all.

Attachments

• 140VLD 100 yds.jpg
    140VLD 100 yds.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 700 yds_ 6.5-284 140 Berger VLD.jpg
    700 yds_ 6.5-284 140 Berger VLD.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 82
Great writeup Shane=Thanks for shareing the hunt with us!
It surprizes me this was your first elk, they just moveing in or you just tarted looking for them?
For the last 6 years I've seen cow elk on the opener of goat season. This year we bought cow tags and havnt even cut a track yet:rolleyes: We have till the 15th of Dec so they may move back to where we can get to them with a trucklightbulb

Great writeup Shane=Thanks for shareing the hunt with us!
It surprizes me this was your first elk, they just moveing in or you just tarted looking for them?
For the last 6 years I've seen cow elk on the opener of goat season. This year we bought cow tags and havnt even cut a track yet:rolleyes: We have till the 15th of Dec so they may move back to where we can get to them with a trucklightbulb

Howdy Cliff,

They've been moving through this area for a few years now, but they might be on our place one day and one of the neighbors the next. Where they were at that evening was kinda a surprise. We had cattle in there all summer and were driving that road every day....never saw any elk. The previous week, deer and antelope hunters had been driving through that area regularly and no one saw any of them. Perhaps they were hiding out in a little ravine that whole week, or perhaps they had just come back onto the property.?? Being able to get the truck to them was definitely one of my biggest perks of getting one here. This bull was laying about 50 yds off a two track road and I was able to get the pickup and the skidsteer loader right to him. Sooo much easier than having to field quarter and pack out.

Good to hear from ya.

Howdy Cliff,

They've been moving through this area for a few years now, but they might be on our place one day and one of the neighbors the next. Where they were at that evening was kinda a surprise. We had cattle in there all summer and were driving that road every day....never saw any elk. The previous week, deer and antelope hunters had been driving through that area regularly and no one saw any of them. Perhaps they were hiding out in a little ravine that whole week, or perhaps they had just come back onto the property.?? Being able to get the truck to them was definitely one of my biggest perks of getting one here. This bull was laying about 50 yds off a two track road and I was able to get the pickup and the skidsteer loader right to him. Sooo much easier than having to field quarter and pack out.

Good to hear from ya.

You were fortunate to get one so close to a spot with vehicle access. Personally, I would love to hunt elk but I do not want to have to pack one out!

Congrates on your first Elk! That was a great write up of your hunt and a great job of sneaking and taking a great shot!
My Elk season opens on Wednesday the Oct. 23rs, that's the day after tomorrow! I am getring pumped big time! This will be my 15th or 16th season elk hunting and I have yet to put a tag on one. Came so close so many times, but something always went wrong. Well I drew a hair tag so even if I don't get a bull At least I hope to get an Elk. I guess pictures qill have to be my trophy to hang on the wall. :) I'll be using my .308win. Savage Striker and 168gr. Barnes TSX reloads. I hope I do the samething as you, eat well through the winter.
Again Congrates on a very nice Trophy!!!
Rupe

Great write up. and congradulations on not having to eat a tag sammich this year. I was planning on joining my father-in-law this year on an elk hunt in Colorado but that making a living thing keeps getting in the way. Congrats again.

Dallas

Thank you all once again for the kind comments.

Nick Carter,

Really glad to see you post here!! I didn't know you were a member.

We BS about all sorts of hunting/shooting/reloading etc...........both near and far on this site, you've got valuable input. Thanks for the reply!

Just for clarification; remember the day You, I, John and EJ were driving around looking/glassing for elk and/or deer.........The first "knob" we stopped to glass (just after seeing the 2 coyotes in the prairie dog town) is only about 400 yds north-north west of where this bull had his final breaths. He was between the old branding corrals and the windmill that we were overseeing at that point.

Hard to tell how many times or how many people drove and/or walked through that area during the previous week. No Matter I guess, I was luckily at the right place/right time..........Kinda like hunting coyotes; its all about "Location".........................Gotta Love it when a plan comes together!!!!!

Nice story.
I quit hunting early this year because of a consulting project that was urgent, so my usual antelope hunt in Wy didn't happen. I'll be back nest year for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.