My dwindling arsenal.

I'm rather limited for shooting time lately and have been noticing that I don't shoot most of my rifles all that much any more. I was going to re-barrel my 7rum this spring, but I can't bring myself to cough up the funding even though I already have a barrel in 28nos sitting there that only needs to be fitted to my action... I'm thinking of thinning my heard a bit too... I don't have multiples of anything other than 300rum though so it would be a tough call on culling them...

I've never been married to my guns, as time went on I needed to fill a need that got filled. My first Big Game rifle was a Marlin 30-30, and moved to a Remington 700 30-06 and a 35 Whelen, then to a .264 WM and a M70 338 WM, a 444 Marlin to a 45/70 Gotv. Browning 1886 high grade, a Remington Custom gun shop KS 375 H&H to a custom CZ602 458 Lott by Lon Paul, a Kimber of America 280 Rem. to a Kimber Montana 300WSM that's now a 6.5/300 WSM. PLus various AR's .22's, other calibers not listed, but I still own my first 16 GA, and 12 GA Remington WingMaster's ...... why change them when they get the job done! I used what was need for the task, a lever gun for Bear in a tree stand, and Dense woods Deer hunting, sure, why not. Out West, the .264 WM, or the .338 WM, only to switch to a Jarrett Rifles 280 AI and a 300 Jarrett later. Anyway, I used what worked for the task at hand.

The ones that stayed were the ones that shot well, period. I moved to custom or semi-custom guns that were super accurate for that reason. The rest are history because I didn't need something I wasn't using. If they fill the usefulness as intended, and no over lap for hunting they stayed. My PRS guns, and ELR are used the most, same for the 223/5.56's. I'd rather have 3 really good guns, and high end optics then six so-so weapons at the end of the day, but that just me. Less is more if quality counts IMO.

One hand, yes!....or sort of. I have 5 rifles including two rim fires. I really don't count them or my two shotguns. After getting into purpose built rifles, I believe that one purpose built rifle is worth 3 off the shelf ones. I'm looking to sell my last factory center fire and maintain only 3 custom/semi-custom rifles. Reloading and working up loads to perfection is the time challenge. I would have more time to practice if I just shot factory ammo...but maybe not money to afford more ammo then... What a conundrum.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.