My Custom Paint Job . . .

lckytylr

Sooo, as I'm new to Long Range shooting, this rifle isn't set up for long range . . . it's all factory.

If this isn't interesting to you, I won't take offense.

I bought a used Remington 700 in 7RUM. All factory, except for this hideous paint job. It HAD to be fixed.

Attachments

• 2012-11-04_18-23-45_633-1.jpg
    2012-11-04_18-23-45_633-1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 114
And so I began . . . almost 3 straight hours of rigorous sanding to remove the insane number of rattle-can layers the previous owner applied, and then a flat OD Green base coat from Aluma-Hyde I bought from Brownell's.

After first coat of OD Green, I wrapped entire stock in (laughs welcome) Bridal Mesh Netting used for table decoration. Then I sprayed over it with Desert Tan.

Attachments

• 2012-11-26_20-48-46_314.jpg
    2012-11-26_20-48-46_314.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 80
That coat got me my "snake scale" look . . . now on to the chore of creating digital.

I think I spent a total of about 6 hours cutting out a matrix of 1/4" square digi-patterns using sign vinyl and an x-acto knife. Ugh . . . the finger cramps.

Attachments

• Vinyl.jpg
    Vinyl.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 69
Then about 3 hours of taping off the first layer of digital. As you can imagine, the bridal mesh had to be secured to the rifle for paint and there were areas that weren't uniform in finish where I had ties. I purposely left those non-uniform areas uncovered so that the next layer of paint would cover them up.

Attachments

• 2012-12-01_11-36-51_246.jpg
    2012-12-01_11-36-51_246.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 57
Soooooo, looking pretty cool, but this next step is a big bummer to me. I ordered 3 different colors of the Aluma-Hyde, Forrest Brown, OD Green and Desert Tan. The bummer is that the OD Green and the Forrest Brown are SOOOOO similar in color that if one is on top of the other, you can't distinguish between the two of them. Sooooo, after all of this work and preparation, if still only looks like two colors.

I still think it looks really cool, but it could look AWESOME if I had another contrasting color. The problem is, after all of this work . . . while I was impatiently awaiting my Christmas Present (a new scope) . . . I really had no reason to get the paint job finished since I couldn't shoot the gun anyway. NOW, I have my scope and have started working towards the best load . . . and there is NO WAY I'm going to take off the scope and disassemble just to paint one more color.

Oh well, here she is completed.

Attachments

• Complete.jpg
    Complete.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 46
  • CompleteClose-up.jpg
    CompleteClose-up.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 77
AAAAAAND with my new scope. My Wife ROCKS . . . the Rifle was my graduation present from BSU, the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 is my Christmas Present.

Since the Black Scope doesn't match the SS Barrel, I'm going to paint the scope sometime this spring to match the stock . . . as soon as I'm ready to swap out the 7RUM barrel for the 300RUM barrel that my in-laws bought me for Christmas . . . I'm a LUCKY DUDE!!!!

Attachments

• FINISHED.jpg
    FINISHED.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 78
Thanks Hulk . . . patience is an understatement, but it's all relative. How many hours and hours and hours have you spent loading different combinations and pouring through load books to develop the jackpot round at the end of the rainbow?

A camo pattern on top of a camo pattern, very sneaky. You have to look through the camo to see the camo. Reminds me of advise a Sniper School instructor gave me while conducting a stalking exercise, "Try to be in a bush, behind a bush, in front of a bush."

And just think, after all that effort it'll probably work almost as well as the "hideous" original paint. I'm just playing.

Very True Bravo 4 . . . all that work is for naught . . . because I have every intention of waving that shiny SS barrel around in the sun while sneaking up on critters.

:)

Oh well, I did it for looks, I must admit. I'm of the opinion that camoflauge is only truly necessary for 3 instances . . . shooting Turkeys, Coyotes and Two-leggeds in a Theater of War.

Same for the scope, none of it makes me a better hunter or shooter, but it'l give me the warm fuzzy's.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.