Muzzle brake ?

Dale700

Wondering about what bake every one likes the best for performance . My son has a couple loovered ones that perform superb but are very hard on anyone in close proximity . I have a rem 700 long range in 7 mm mag that shoots one ragged hole groups at 200 yds but the vld load is punishing . Just looking for advice .gun)

I just had a Defensive Edge installed on a .300 Winchester. I really feel it's an improvement over the Vias. The only other one I've used. Well machined and effective.

The Assassin from JE custom would be worth a look. His video's are great, and he's tried very hard to measure and objectively quantify his results.

What he has to say about top port brakes is really interesting.

IMO, good muzzle brakes are loud. Inferior muzzle brakes are quiet.
You gotta make a choice. My own method for making the choice is how much of the recoil is attenuated by the brake. I usually select the brake that provides enough recoil relief to allow for good muzzle control during the shot (return to target without having to search all over the horizon to find it again) without expecting it to eliminate all recoil from the rifle. Whatever noise that brake produces is what I accept.

Vias, Thruster, FTE, Fat Bastard/Mini Bastard and Muscle are all excellent brakes. Of those brakes I'd choose the one that looks best with your barrel contour.

Look at pages 3 and 4 of this thread. They describe the assassin muzzle brake. I have them on all my rifles. They do a unbelievable job of cutting down recoil. On page 4 there are examples of the brake working on rifles.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/muzzle-breaks-142277/index4.html

There have been many questions asking what tuning does and what effect it has compared
to non-tuned brakes.

In all of our test, every brake we tested was the same design internally for that style of brake and worked better on one cartridge than another only and degraded in recoil reduction with other cartridges.

Each cartridge is unique and to get the best performance the brake must be designed for that cartridge to achieve maximum performance.

Taking the cartridge, powder, bullet weight, velocity and rifle weight. I can tune the Assassin
and be within less that 1 ft/lb of the actual recoil using all of the methods of calculations.

Keep in mind that "ALL" muzzle brakes work to some extent and it is no wonder that most are happy with 30% to 50% recoil reduction.

With most cartridges/rifles this is more than enough to make a big difference in shoot ability.

Noise is always a big issue with or without a brake and "NO" rifle should be shot without some sort of hearing protection. All test proved there is no such thing as a quite brake or a quite rifle,

You may think you are getting away with firing a rifle once or twice but you are not. We found all rifles to be in the 106 DB to 108 DB range and the tuned reduced it to 105 DB (Not enough to
eliminate hearing protection). If DB levels reach 80 to 85 DB damage will defiantly occur.

Port angles can effect the perceived sound levels (DB) but they don't lessen the actual DB levels.

The Highest level of recoil reduction I have been able to produce with tuning was on a 30x378
that produced over 73% recoil reduction. is 73% necessary ? not with many shooters but it could make the difference of shooting it or not with many others.(This rifle was already braked and tested at 51% reduction, the move to 73+% was major and a big difference to the owner.

Efficiency Is the only way to get the most recoil reduction and the reason for tuning.

I hope this explains the reason for tuning and the benefits it offers. These brakes are CUSTOM one of a kind brakes for the particular rifle.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks guys for all the great information . I found it all to be useful . Gave me lots to think about . gun)

To WBM , thanks for the link to Ross Schulers page , talked with Nathan via email and ordered one of these brakes , should see it this week , will let everyone know how I get along with it . Thanks every one for all the advice !

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.