Multi-range groups

cstilt

I'm wondering if anyone has ever done something like this. When I used to bow hunt a lot I would shoot groups from random distances onto a paper plate. It would be the first shot of the day over a few days. I did that to see how my first shot ability was. I'd take some sitting, standing or around a tree to simulate field conditions. I always liked to think anytime I let one go, I knew where it would go. This helped my see how good I really was.

Anyone try this with a rifle over all the distances you plan on hunting at? In all honesty I don't have the skill to shoot a rifle at the ranges that would make it interesting,but I know there's a lot of great shots here who could make it interesting. I'm really interested to see what members here can do. Zero to as far as your comfortable, first shot of the day. No warm ups, no do overs or sighters. Just one shot, at a random distance like you would in the field.

first shot of the day. No warm ups, no do overs or sighters. Just one shot, at a random distance like you would in the field.

Unless I am load developing, I only take one shot a day and usually the target is an 8x8" steel plate. I'll shoot from all the positions I can think of. Shooting sticks, off a tree, fencepost, sitting position, prone.

I only have a 400 yard range while there are crops; so anything up to 400 in the summer, 600 in winter.

I also like to shoot in high wind, rain, snow, whatever...

If you can hit that gong every time from field positions, that's some fine shooting. Hopeful I'll be able to do the same one day.

On a side note, I read on the ladder testing mentioned in your sig. If I can find a range over 200 yards I'd like to give it a try. Sounds like a neat idea.

On a side note, I read on the ladder testing mentioned in your sig. If I can find a range over 200 yards I'd like to give it a try. Sounds like a neat idea.
I have done ladder tests at 100 yards successfully; but the targets can get hard to examine.
ladder3030.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.